WT half bag question

fos1

I just ordered a Wild Things Epic half-bag that was on sale through an on-line retailer. It was advertised as the 6-oz. weight PL1 insulation (same as the WT belay jacket) but when it got here it was noticeably thinner insulation, and much lighter than the advertised weight (about 1lb. 6oz versus a listed weight of 1lb. 13oz). I talked to the store on the phone, they said they noticed the same thing, seemed less than the belay, but more than the EP jacket, maybe like a 3-oz weight. I thought I read someone else here making the same comment a while ago, anyone know if WT changed the half-bag insulation weight in the last few years?

Thanks, it's bugging me. And since they're telling me I can't return the sale item, I may be putting it up for sale here sometime soon if anyone is interested in a lighter weight half-bag.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things:

Synthetic insulations vary by stated weight by about 20% (+ or -). The manufacturing process of what a friend refers to as the "white puke" isn't quite up to the rocket science standards we (or the marketing depts) dream of.

It is possible that the factory made a mistake (or their website doesn't evolve as fast as design changes). Do you have something with 6oz (or even 5oz) PL1 with which you can compare? 6oz tends to be reasonably stiff, 3 oz drapes much easier.

To me the bigger issue is that you are not satisfied with the product, and employees of the retailer you delt with noticed and agreed that it felt wrong. I would personally try to deal with that retailer in a friendly but firm manner (avoid the public sodomy session seen in multiple threads on this board today - people make mistakes - give them a chance to correct the issue off-line). Sales may be final, but they appear to have not delivered what you ordered.

I would also contact the manufacturer and ask about potential insulation changes and explain your concerns regarding the bag. If the retailer still hasn't budged at that point, I would also mention concerns about the retailer as a suitable outlet for that product, and cc the retailer.

Hopefully at that point the retailer will cease dicking you around (assuming they are)(I've seen some incredibly fucked up warranty claims).

Good luck.

I talked to WT, they dug around and found out that the original half-bags a few years ago were made with the 3 oz PL1, then they switched to the 6-oz thereafter. So, I just got one of the original lighter weight bags.

If the retailer won't take a return I'll just put it up for sale.

Thanks for the info and advice, fishstick. I'm not about to rake anybody over the coals over a mistake.