Burgundy: West Face (Annie Greensprings Route)

dwood

Has anyone done the Annie Greensprings route recently? I'm wondering if snow remains in the gully between Burgundy and Paisano? Typically I'd expect to need boots, axe, and maybe crampons to approach and then carry over everything. I'm hoping this late in the season and with the low snow pack the approach gully is now free of snow. You can call me lazy, I'll understand smile.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Crampons -No

Ice Axe - No

Mountain Boots - No

A month ago there was no snow in the gulley. I approached Burgundy in tennis shoes and had no problem. You probably won't need to carry over since my guess is you'll be rapping the North Face route. The start to the North Face toute is just a couple hundred feet up the gulley. When viewing the approach route to Burgundy from the highway you see the major gullry coming down from Burgundy Col which is to be avioded like the plague. Instead from the level shelf below Buruandy following the trail and stay in the left hand gulley system (it should be marked with cairns). Once a couple hundred feet below Burgundy Col start traversing right to the actual col. The route should be doable in a day if you leave early. We were able to complete the North Face in a day with light to spare. Have fun!

[This message has been edited by TimL (edited 08-03-2001).]

TimL,

Thanks for the info. I’m little confused though, it sounds to me like you’re talking about the approach to the more standard routes off the gully leading up the Burgundy col. The Annie Greensprings Route, according to Beckey, approaches from a separate gully behind (south of) Paisao Pinnacle (not leading to the Burgundy Col). Is this the gully you’re talking about being free of snow?

Thanks for any clarification,

dwood

If my memory serves me correctly, there is not much if not any snow on the west side of Burgundy. I'm pretty sure there is no snow in the gulley you are talking about. Everything seemed really dry when we were up there a month ago. Hope this helps.