Baker/Easton Beta?

Silentpartner

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no replies prior to my trip but it went well regardless. For what it's worth, I'll post a quick trip report in case anyone else is heading that way. The road to Schreiber's Meadows trailhead was still not completely open, but only a 1/4 mile or so out. The snowmobilers were still out in full force, but the folks at Skidrow Wooley ranger station said they were going to cut off the fume-spewing noisy beasts sometime this week. Their season of polluting the fresh mountain air ends when there is about two feet or less snowpack in the meadows. Our biggest enemy was the sun. High temps. kept the snow soft Friday and Saturday. The railroad grade still has a substantial snowpack on top, making it a bit sketchy with a big pack on, especially when it is so warm and unstable. We put in camp just beyond the big hump near the upper end of the railroad grade, about 6000'. When we got up at 1:00 a.m. the sky was clear but it didn't get cold enough for the snow to really set up at that altitude. We were breaking through a very thin crust into soft snow up to about 7500'. Beyond that the conditions improved considerably. Crevasse danger is pretty minimal. I didn't expect the Easton to be in such good shape after such a dry winter but it really isn't bad. The schrund on the Roman wall hasn't grown much yet from the West end and there is still ample room for making wide switchbacks if you need to. We left camp at just past 2 a.m. and summitted by 8. Clear skies and high temps made the descent from basecamp back to the car the hardest part of the trip. We used snowshoes on most of the approach and descent. Skis would be even better. Cooler temps are moving in and the snowmobiles are going to be out, so the coming weekend should prove to be better conditions. Enjoy.