[TR] Mt. Baker- Coleman Headwall Attempt 6/9/2004

Farrgo

Climb: Mt. Baker-Coleman Headwall Attempt

Date of Climb: 6/9/2004

Trip Report:

My buddy John and I rocked out of B'ham at 1 am this morning intent on doing the Coleman Headwall. We saw quite a few flashes of lightning on our way up to the trailhead but figured we were already awake so we might as well go.

We reached the glacier at first light, roped up and headed toward the left of the Roman Nose. Right off the bat we noticed that there were many slots ready to open. The snow hadn't frozen up very much at all. My buddy John plunged through several crevasses up to his chest. I plunged through only once.

The weather looked pretty iffy and about halfway across the glacier it started to rain pretty hard for about five minutes. We debated about if we should continue or not for about five minutes when a massive avalanche ripped down just to the left of the headwall. This was followed by another big slide toward the black buttes and several claps of thunder from some very ominous clouds. After this we decided today wasn't the day for the headwall.

Gear Notes:

None - Brought 4 pickets, 4 screws, 2 tools, standard glacier gear

Approach Notes:

Trail is half/half snow covered. First major stream crossing is tricky. If you are paying attention you can cut to the right long before you reach the standard climbers trail and save some time.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how crappy is the snow up there....im thinking of doing the standard coleman/roman wall route starting tomarrow and summiting friday. i thought the lower snow level would help cool down that snow from tuesday and consolidate it. is it worth going?

Sure. Why not? There could be a little fresh snow higher up. As we are still deeply within Spring conditions skis are definitely nice to have. Altough, since on that route you'll probably be booting the last 1800 feet anyway, it shouldn't too much harder on the ascent just to bootpack. It's coming down that the skis are worth their weight in gu.

Ya I think that the standard route would have been fine. Snow wasn't so bad that it would be torture to boot up the thing, but definately not ideal for a steep climb. The headwall looked pretty prime to me, although I haven't been on it before. From the glacier we could see a couple straight forward lines just to the left of the roman nose.