Fuel Ration for White Gas Stoves

Pancho_Villa

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your message doesn't indicate what you want to use the stove for (cooking or melting snow for drinking water).

On trips where we melt snow for drinking water, and assuming no cooking (boiling), we can easily get by with about 3 oz of fuel per person, per day. If it is cold and windy, then the stove will run less efficiently and we'll use more like 4 oz per person, per day.

Boiling a couple of liters will increase the usage, maybe up to 5 oz per person, per day? Just a guesstimate.

Also, the type of stove will make a difference. My Simmerlite seems to have better "gas mileage" than my XGK, by almost an ounce per person, per day.

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

For what it's worth, this is from "Stove Tips" on MSR's site.

MSR recommends 4 oz. (114ml) of liquid fuel per person per day for cooking or 8 oz. (237ml) of liquid fuel per person per day for melting snow and cooking. An extremely cold trip, like skiing in Antarctica, may require as much as 15oz. (444 ml) of liquid fuel per day.

All of my "cooking" is just adding boiling water to something, and the 8 oz figure is excessive. I typically use the 4 oz number and then add some extra. Probably ends up at 5-6 oz per person per day, but I never really measure it that accurately. I always come home with a bit of fuel left.

Then again, I've never been skiing in Antarctica.