[TR] Source Lk Basin + Stevens Pass Area- 4/3/2004

Timcb

Climb: Source Lk Basin + Stevens Pass Area-

Date of Climb: 4/3/2004

Trip Report:

Forget snowshoes- After my first two backcountry tours this weekend I'm totally sold on skis. I was up in the Source Lk basin and over to Snow Lk and back on Sat, then up slopes on the S side of 2, a bit E of Stevens Pass and up to Big Chief on Sun. Both days had phenomenal weather and I just had a great time out in the mountains.

Snow both days was variable, but generally slushy. The different aspects skied were all pretty much the same, but the shaded glades on the way down yesterday featured twig and pine needle-covered, hard, rough snow.

Other notes from yesterday's Stevens adventure:

-My partner set off two point release avalanches above the bowl on the SE face of Big Chief. We were both pretty surprised, since we figured the snow ought to have been stable, but the snow had really made it quite wet, heavy and unstable. Fortunately, my partner aborted his run down into the bowl only 5' from the ridge and was able to watch in relative safety as the slides spread to 30' across and a foot deep. Heads up

-set off another avy on out descent in a north/northwest facing gully

-We tried summiting Big Chief from the northeast ridge (sans skis), but turned back 25 vert ft from the top after finding exposed snow slopes to 50* on and left of the ridge and cliffs rt of the ridge. Potentially could have made it if we'd traversed the steep snow on the right a bit more, but no biggie. If only we'd brought our ice axes it would have been cake.

Gear Notes:

Randonee setups

Wished we'd brought ice axes for the top of Big Chief

Approach Notes:

All snow. ~2-3' deep at parking lot.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days