Mount Steel

Flying_Ned

Hey Olympics wanderers, here's a one of the least visited, best high camps in the range. The climbers guides rates it 1.1, but it's really a 1.2, offers a hell of a hike to one of the most spectacular viewpoints around. Excellent vistas of the Sawtooths, Skokomish, Stone, Hopper & Home Sweet Home, The Brothers, Constance & Del Monte Ridge, the Mystery-Deception group, The Needles, Elk Lick, LaCrosse Pass & Mt. LaCrosse, Anderson and the Lindsey Glacier, Diamond Peak, Chimney Peak, Hart & Marmot Lakes and the upper LaCrosse Basin, O'Neil Pass, the entire Olympus complex, Muncaster and the upper Quinault, Duckabush, Six Ridge, Sundown and all the way back down the Skok.

From just below First divide (13 mi) take the way trail NW and follow it down into the beautiful basin at North Pass. This flat, meadowed area is about 25 acres and lies at the foot of Mt. Steel. Cross to the NW and follow game trails up benches working back S along the E face. Your plan should be to make a large S through the cliffs and alder until you get to the talus field, which quickly takes you into the heather. It's fairly steep and poles help on the descent through this area. Follow the obvious line to the saddle and scramble to the 6225' summit. There are many fine bivy sites at the top where the bugs are less annoying. Plenty of snow for water, and there's a small PVC register at the top. Last visit prior to mine was 8-31-01.

I did this in one long day from Staircase, about 15 miles and spent a spectacular evening camping on the summit. Saw plenty of blacktail, a large bear lounging in the basin, and a big male goat at the saddle. I can't recommend this enough for a challenging hike and amazing views--beats all the eastern peaks (Constance, Brothers, etc.) for sheer beauty. Walked out the following day (last Sunday) and felt I'd had a great workout. grin.gif

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic