Queries On Mts Clark, Adelaide

johndavidjr

One of my questions is, are Needles climbs sandbagged in guidebook . I'm a shameful whimp, but I found Deception (with guide) a bit tougher than class2. Am now leading a few low 5s at Gunks (highly developed crag--far different from mteering); am fairly accomplished at self arrest etc, but not terribly comfortable on 39+degree snow, & wondering if its at all realistic to take my girlfriend to do Clark, Adelaide &/or anything, really, in Needles. If so, what rack, if any, might be useful..... Also (to change subject) have heard wildly varying reports on Elwah snow finger-- as far as how steep it really is, when it's there/not there & generally trying to get read on it, for potential trip lead by me, a whimp, & accident-waiting-to-happen girlfriend....

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the Needles are sandbagged, but the Class 2 rating for Deception is definitely a sandbag. I would define a class 2 as a climb on which a fall down the main route would not be fatal; people have been killed on Deception (according to the ranger, non-climbers who did not have axes, fell and couldn't arrest). The Olympics guidebook is a little imprecise in its ratings in general. I have not done any fifth class in the Olympics so it's hard for me to guess about the Needles. I suspect that due to sketchy rock the not-truly-technically-difficult routes would feel harder than they had a right to.