Baker area conditions

meganerd

Set out today on a tentatively labeled solo attempt on the N Face or White Salmon Glacier Routes on Shuksan. Knowing success on either of those would be unlikely for me, my "aspirations" were really just an excuse to get out and do SOMETHING. I've never done the approach before, so I couldn't really start till first light (probably too late in the first place). I decided to go high for the traverse over to the White Salmon Cirque (so I could abort and head to very nice looking Shuksan arm if I felt like it). I witnessed a very nice sunrise from near the top of the White Salmon Ski Lift (#8?). Shortly thereafter though, I topped out on a low ridge and could see to the west where dark brooding clouds were racing toward me. Also at the same moment a cloud bank came over Shuksan Arm and enveloped me. Hmmm, solo on N Face of Shuksan in a whiteout? Bad idea. It was looking like it was going to rain (or possibly snow) so I headed out satisfied with my sunrise pictures. On the drive down I decided to feel useful and checked out some local forest service roads.

-Ruth Creek Road: blocked by small avy just before

Hannegan TH.

-Glacier Creek Road: blocked by snowpack about a mile

before Heliotrope Ridge TH.

-Lower Baker Ski Area appears to be closed (?)

-Snow was hard enough to walk on w/o snowshoes (at 6

AM) and avy danger looked very low.

-Shuksan approach has good snow on it now though

lower sections will probably melt out much sooner

than normal this year.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic