Kevin LaFleur Tribute

SkagitQueen

This thread is for those that have been following Kevin's story and want to share their stories, pay him tribute or support his family.

If you want discuss the incident, the following search effort, SAR practices, etc. please continue on this thread: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/793883/fpart/1

or start your own.

Below is a message from Ryan LaFluer, Kevin's brother:

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to send you all an email before I leave Washington today. I just really wanted to thank everyone for helping with the search efforts and keeping my family in your thoughts and prayers. My family and myself don't know how to thank you all enough.

Many have been asking about a memorial service. A memorial service will happen in Washington but probably not for another month or two. Exact timing to be determined. As some of you might know, my father is going through chemotherapy for cancer (keep him in your prayers). His doctors will not let him travel until he completes his treatment. My parents would really like to come out to Washington to meet everyone and take part in the memorial services so we have decided to hold off on the service for a month or two.

Although this week was one of the hardest ones of my life, I was able to get through it by being with all of you and hearing your stories of Kevin. It gave me great joy to hear your stories of how Kevin touched your lives and others. It was really hard for my parents not to be out here and meet you all and hear your stories. I tried to write them down but can't do them justice. In order to share these stories with my parents, I am creating a book for them and need your help. Please send me an email to lafleurfamily08@yahoo.com with the following:

*A picture of you (with Kevin if you have one)

*Your name

*How you know Kevin or met him

*A story of experience you had with Kevin

I don't have everyone's email address so feel free to forward this email to anyone I missed or those who would like to participate in sharing their story about Kevin. This book will be something my parents will really enjoy.

Thanks again for all of your support and prayers. I look forward to seeing you all again in a few months at his memorial service.

God Bless,

Ryan

For my own part, I first met Kevin when I was "pushing 'biners" at a small retail climbing shop in Seattle. He was in to buy his first avy beacon. We got to talking, (due to that genial, enthusiastic talent that Kevin had for drawing people out) and soon realized that we had a shared passion for the mountains and teaching. I told him about the graduate residency program I had gotten into, little realizing that several years later I would encounter him in our learning community when he signed up for that same program himself.

As time passed, I came to admire Kevin's athleticism, enjoyed his passion for history, lichens, science, teaching and discovery, and counted myself lucky to know another person who was willing to go climb great distances just for the heck of it.

Now he is part of that pastiche of collective memories, photos, videos and stories that make Komo Kulshan far bigger than its physical bulk.

Godspeed Kevin, see you someday.

-Megan

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragged over from the first thread:

"Considering the number of views (over 5000) this thread has hit, it appears a lot of people are using this forum as a primary means of current information, I know I am."

First post here, new member to cascadeclimbers.com

I've been reading this over the past week and a half as I grieve for my friend Kevin and his family. Kevin and I had a long friendship. We went to undergrad together, lived on the same floor in the dorms, took many classes together, travelled to Ecuador together... I lived in Seattle and he in Lynden. We would visit eachother often during my 5 years in Seattle. Kevin, Tim Terpstra, and I were up on Mt Rainier 5 or 6 years ago but had to turn back due to weather and my aching hip. Kevin came all the way out to Idaho a year and a half ago to celebrate Thanksgiving with me and my family.

Tim et al, I want to thank you for your efforts in locating Kevin. This has been a very difficult time for me as well. The loss of a friend like Kevin hurts more than I imagined.

I'm thankful, however, and I take solace in the facts that he was doing what he loved most in the place he loved most, over the years he has been surrounded by friends who love him, and he can now rest safe in the arms of Jesus. Kevin was a Christian brother in the truest sense and I look forward to fellowshipping with him again one day.

To Kevin's family: There are people all over the country (and the world) who have been praying for you all.

Warm regards,

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

To Ryan,

Uncle Bill and I are so proud of you for what you did for Kevin. We wished we could have been there with you. We love you with all my heart.

To All Who Looked for Kevin, Kevin was our nephew and we loved him dearly and looked forward to all his wonderful letters describing his adventures. He loved all of you and we just wanted to say Thank you and God Bless you all. We miss Kevin everyday. Kevin died being close to God and he is safe.

And that is comforting to us.

Thank you all again from the bottom of our hearts. And anytime you are in California, please look us up and you will have a place to stay.

Bill and Debbie Departie

debdepartie@cox.net