Guardian 2 rescue helicopter $$$ support

norale

On Monday, June 20th, my climbing partner and I enjoyed a successful climb of The Tooth in the Snoqualmie Pass area. About one hour on the trail down from the Tooth my partner lost footing on the talus beneath the cliff band. This was 2 miles from the parking lot, and about 300 feet above Source Lake. He tumbled approximately 82 feet sustaining a spinal cord injury, and fractured arm. Fortunate for us, two other climbers came by about 30 minutes after the fall, and were able to call 911. About an hour later the first SMR team member arrived on the scene, soon followed by KCSR volunteers. Approximately one hour later the Guardian 2 rescue helicopter showed up, and within the next hour, my friend was delivered to the trauma unit at Harborview hospital.

This trail would not be considered technical. An hour away from the rock climb we felt comfortable and safe having our helmets and harnesses stowed inside our packs. This was not a case of poor judgement, or lack of proper gearing, and was not a rock climbing accident. It was a bad accident that, sadly, just happened.

The helicopter rescue was so critical to the life of my partner, and preserving muscle and brain function impaired by swelling. Research around SCI emphasizes the importance of getting to a trauma center within 8 hours of injury. Because of the quick and professional response of the first responder, the KCSR, and SMR folks, and because of the Guardian 2 helicopter, my friend was delivered to Harborview within 4 hours of his injuries.

We have donated to the organizations involved as the best way to say “Thank you!” for saving his life, and for their smiles, support, expertise, and efficiency as they handled our trauma. Unfortunately the funding for the Guardian 2 Helicopter will end in January 2017 making this life-saving service unavailable when the worst does happen, as it did for us. (Google:Air Support Unit might be unfunded starting January 2017).

I would urge the voters of King County to support the continued funding for the Guardian 2 helicopter http://www.kingcounty.gov/council/councilmembers/find_district.aspx . Without the timeliness of this rescue my friend most likely would not have survived his injuries.

Noelle Price

Vancouver, Washington

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic