Sign in to follow this  
cneum

DIY pulk ideas

I currently have a 4.5 yr old and a 9 month old, but only one pulk for the upcoming XC ski season. Our current pulk is a Kindershuttle which is great, but I don't really have the money to shell out for another one of those plus I am not sure I could get two to fit in my Outback. So I was thinking of making one. There are plans out there to convert an "Expedition Sled" from Paris Company into a gear pulk, but does anyone have advice for putting some kind of seat into that for a 4.5 year old? The Kindershuttle has a rather customized seat that looks hard to replicate at home. Would a Thermarest seat work? Anyone tried something else?

The other alternative is to convert an old jogging stroller to a pulk by removing the two back wheels and attaching skis, then remove the front wheel and attach poles there. My concern is that the poles will then pull from essentially a single front point (versus to the two front corners of a rectangular sled) and I wonder if this will be unstable. Thoughts? We mostly ski the blue loop at Cabin Creek (at a very slow pace), so there are a couple of downhills for which a relatively stable setup would be preferred.

Or anyone have a used Kindershuttle they want to sell? :)