alcon Guides suck. That most Falcon guides are not worth the paper they’ve been printed on is a widely known truism in the climbing world. Yet they often have been the only game in town and we all grit our teeth and buy one anyway. A good guidebook should do more than get you located in a new area: it should entertain, inform, and interest you in the area it presents. The information should be clear, well organized and most importantly, accurate. A really good one will present history along with current information or where to find current info. An excellent one will do all of this, and do it in deep rich color! The new Falcon Guide authored by Alan Watts does all of this. It breaks with the Falcon Guide tradition of settling for mediocrity, and proceeds directly to sublime and amazing.
Tag Archives: Guidebook
Search Gear Prices
Recent Blog Posts
- Chewuch Rd, and Thirtymile drainage climbing development. June 15, 2021I was curious about route development in the upper Chewuch/Thirtymile drainage near Winthrop. Are there resources? I’ve run into a bunch of dead ends.
- [TR] Ruth Gorge - Kuriositeten and Mount Bradley plus others 04/26/2021 June 12, 2021Trip: Ruth Gorge - Kuriositeten and Mount Bradley plus others Trip Date: 04/26/2021 Trip Report: I am a little late in posting this because I had a 3 week Denali expedition right after this trip. So I am just now getting back into the swing of regular life and unpacking. Anyway I figured I would […]
- current North Sister conditions beta June 10, 2021Anyone have beta on a recent June 2021 climb of the North & Middle Sisters?
- [TR] Whitehorse - Lone Tree Pass 05/22/2021 June 9, 2021Trip: Whitehorse - Lone Tree Pass Trip Date: 05/22/2021 Trip Report: I first climbed Whitehorse early on as I began climbing. I thought it would be a great way to introduce my son to steeper terrain with the short ramp on the top, and it's always a good conditioner as a day trip. Last year […]
- [TR] Anderson - Eel Glacier 05/30/2021 June 8, 2021Trip: Anderson - Eel Glacier Trip Date: 05/30/2021 Trip Report: I've been wanting to climb Anderson for years, and finally had a chance this Memorial Day weekend. My son and I drove up separately from my friend Noel on Friday night, arriving after 10:30. There was already a number of cars parked at the end […]