We know this isn’t exactly fresh meat here but we were asked to do a review of the new edition of Fred Beckey’s Cascade Alpine Guide Vol. 3 more commonly referenced to as the “Red Beckey Guide”. Released in the Fall of 2008 this edition was rumors to be the last update of CAGs by Fred. It goes without saying that the Beckey Guides are the Bible to the Cascades, and while there is the occasional nebulous approach information there isn’t anything that comes close to the pure volume of information on climbing routes in the Cascades.
Tag Archives: Fred Beckey
Search Gear Prices
Recent Blog Posts
- Buttress on south side of Ruth Creek along Hannegan Pass trail? August 7, 2020What’s this buttress called? Routes? Topos? Beta? It’s on the opposite side of Ruth Creek from Mamie Peak. It descends off of the north side Nooksack Ridge between Ruth and Sefrit (not the nearby Nooksack Ridge which is between Nooksack Tower and Shuksan’s summit).
- [TR] Mt Triumph - NE Ridge 07/17/2020 August 7, 2020Mt Triumph, NE Ridge (5.7), North Cascades July 17-19, 2020 Back in February, I emailed Nancy, Kari, and Karen a list of Cascade climbs to consider for the summer. But as the months went by and COVID-19 numbers increased, a summer climbing trip started to feel harder to pull off. We wanted to climb, so […]
- [TR] Attempt on Stuart Ridge Traverse - SRT 08/04/2020 August 6, 2020Trip: Attempt on Stuart Ridge Traverse - SRT Trip Date: 08/04/2020 Trip Report: I'm writing this down so people attempting this might have a bit more info as it seems that info (or lack thereof) is the crux. We didn't complete it for a multitude of reasons but maybe I learned something that will help […]
- [TR] Johannesburg Mountain - NE Buttress 08/01/2020 August 3, 2020Trip: Johannesburg Mountain - NE Buttress Trip Date: 08/01/2020 Trip Report: Over the weekend my friend Matt and I climbed the NE Buttress of Jburg. I won't add too much beta-wise since theres a decent amount out there, and I wouldn't want to take any adventure out of it for those of you wanting to […]
- [TR] Salami Slab, Darrington - Snagglepuss 07/05/2020 August 3, 2020Trip: Salami Slab, Darrington - Snagglepuss Trip Date: 07/05/2020 Trip Report: My COVID-era partner and son, Ty and I made a quick trip to the Salami Slabs to test-drive a new variation to Snagglepuss. You may not be aware of Snagglepuss because it is not among the ‘Only Darrington Routes Worth Doing’ identified in climbing […]