[TR] Banks Lake ice with ropegunning wife - various 12/11/2010

cbcbd

Trip: Banks Lake ice with ropegunning wife - various

Date: 12/11/2010

Trip Report:

A week ago I tied the knot with the decision to secure myself a partner for life. :)

Now a week later I tie a different knot. We both love ice, had never climbed WI together, so on Sat, 12/11, we finally got the chance to test our new marriage against some icicles!!

Banks was looking promising so we drove up late from Seattle on Friday and slept in the Osborn bay Fish and Wildlife camping area (none of those climbs are in). Sat we got a lazy start, overcast, temps around 34 degrees in the morning, and headed to the Devil's punchbowl area. Lots of big ice debris below many of the climbs although we didn't see anything big coming down during the day.

P1000677.JPG

Trotsky's folly looked delaminated at the top and ready topple so we skipped it and headed up to start with Trotsky's Revenge.

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6010.JPG

The wife asked me if she could have the first lead of the day. Now, I might be new to this but I know you should not be arguing with the wife. Gotta please the woman!

P1000713.JPG

P1000711.JPG

P1000709.JPG

P1000715.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

The topout was a little hollow, but doable. The chimneying was great fun!

At that time we saw two cc.com allstars coming up - John Plotz (telemarker)and Kyle Flick. They hopped on the punchbowl while we finished off Revenge.

IMG_60271.JPG

We chit-chatted and swaped climbs, running up punchbowl before the last remaining icicle falls off.

Feeling good we finished off, waved adieu to Plotz and Flick, and headed over to Pee Wee's. We beeline to the right flow, which is the better looking one of the area. It's steep but the blobs, previous traffic, and thankfully short length (we just doubled up our 70m half rope), made it doable for me with much shaking out :)

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG

P1000730.JPG

Pretty tied up :)

IMG_6075.JPG

When V runs up it I'm getting antsy to get off this flow since every small kick or swing she makes just reverberates all the way up the climb, reminding one that ice is a temporary ever-changing medium :) Very happy with our pump we packed up and headed a little north to complete the day with huge plates of delicious Mexican food at La Presa.

Here's looking to future climbs and following some hard stuff my wife puts up for me!!

P1000741.JPG

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Sweet, D&V! Congrats! :brew: to that.

Nice job, Doug, on a follow-up to this classified ad :grin::

n615215323_2089357_6560.jpg

Best $5 bucks I've ever spent!!

Dude, luckily you got a lot of training for ice climbing in Brazil !!!

Coconut trees, ice sheets... same thing, different season. and at least monkeys aren't trying to jump on your face on the ice :)

Мира, добра и согласия, ребята! Чтоб лед под вами был прочнее чугуна! Peace, kindness and agreement - doesn’t sound quite right. Solid ice under your feet!

i figured out how to read the original. sounds like a great toast. thank you!

:tup: This is the most awesome TR! Congratulations!

I guess I'll have to modify this old joke:

When God made woman, he told Adam that he could make him the most beautiful woman in the world that could climb WI, and be your ropegun forever - but it would cost you an arm and a leg.

Adam says, really? But that's a lot, what can I get for a rib?

:yoda: