[TR] Cutthroat Peak - North Ridge 8/18/2012

Tyson.g

Trip: Cutthroat Peak - North Ridge

Date: 8/18/2012

Trip Report:

Inspired by the TR by Leland, I had an overwhelming desire to chase Puppies and Rainbows of my own in the basin below Cutthroat Peak that he so eloquently described. :moondance:

Equally enticing to me was the thought of multiple pitches of solid 5 easy rock. :)...

I cannot add to Lelands route description as his panache with pros is far superior to mine and the beta he gave was impeccable.

Well, maybe I would add two small items:

1) The amount of time on the PCT was probably less than a mile as it only took my sorry lardness a scant 15 minutes to the turn off.

2)I believe Leland and partner scrambled the descent from the false summit on thier way to the final pitch to the true summit so we followed suit. (please correct me if I was mistaken) I would call it the mental crux for me as there were one or two moves of some pretty exposed climbing with very little room for error. In particular one move that steps down onto a semi loose block and then a traverse to a easy but exposed slab. (I may have actually :cry: at this point, but I am bit of an old sissy)

I would agree that the hardest moves were about 5.6 but you can definitely choose moves to make it a little harder.

The approach took about 2.5 hours

The ascent took us about 3 hours

The descent took 2 hours

The deproach about 2 hours

All told we were 11 hours round trip including breaks,summit time and creek beers on the way down.

Anyway, I cannot recommend this outing enough! Solid, Fun, Easy and the appproach is sweet like a sweet sweety thing.

Enjoy some pictures:

IMG_00482.JPG

IMG_00613.JPG

IMG_00743.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_00872.JPG

DSCN1333.JPG

DSCN13611.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG[

IMG_00763.JPG

IMG_00921.JPG

IMG_00973.JPG

IMG_01034.JPG

IMG_01133.JPG

IMG_01154.JPG

IMG_01195.JPG

IMG_01284.JPG

IMG_01332.JPG

DSCN1329.JPG

Gear Notes:

Small rack of Metolius TCU's,a few nuts, a couple of fist size pieces handy for the offwidth crack.

8 mountain runners

60 meter double ropes (worked well for a team of three)

Approach Notes:

Rainy Pass TH.

15 minutes to first real creek.

Into open woods and meadows on the North side and just follow the path of bliss.

Edited by Tyson.g

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic