[TR] Mt Forgotten - standard 9/5/2016

olyclimber

Trip: Mt Forgotten - standard

Date: 9/5/2016

Trip Report:

Alpinfox and I are not ones to suffer fools, so we obviously suffered a lot in each other's company on this Labor Day hike. As noted everywhere, the trail departs from the Dickerman parking lot, a change since I was last up there since the Perry Creek road has been decommished.

The hike's a hike. There were occasional views through the clouds. I got sweaty.

Alpinfox wore business casual. We only saw two solo women hikers and a goat.

The biggest controversy is which stack of rocks is the true summit! Over on Summit Post Klenke talks about difficulty of what is known to be the true summit, which would be to the west of the summit you hike right up to. But! Mr Ken Russel and team used a string and a water bottle in some fashion to determine that the hike up summit is actually higher. There *did* appear to be some relatively recent rock change on the summit that was recently was supposed to be the highest....and Mr Ken Russel did speculate that either lightening or man made changes altered its height....though it does seem a bit of stretch that someone would have trundled blocks to make the easier summit the highest. At the easy summit there was a plastic register with a damp little rag of paper in it. At the middle summit I found the classic brass Mountaineers register, also containing damp rags of paper, though less damp. So it is huge controversy. Someone bring up a theodolite next time.

A good time was had by all.

IMG_77301.JPGIMG_77312.JPGIMG_77331.JPGIMG_77411.JPGIMG_77492.JPGIMG_7776.JPG

IMG_77741.JPGIMG_7792.JPGIMG_7851.JPG

Gear Notes:

QFC sandwich

Approach Notes:

hike hike

Edited by olyclimber

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah there is 6 lane paved road to the summit.

well, it is actually more of a climbers path past that glorious meadow with the tarn, sort of a choose your own adventure that diverges and reconvenes several times as you contour over to the north side and then it just heads straight up to the summit(s). not hard to follow and even some flagging in parts.

I've been getting a lot of requests for a picture of the goat. As you can see it was pretty goatworthy. I hope this fulfills your needs, please stop bothering me.

29239557200_daebddd2c1_b.jpg

pix, or it didn't happen :)

also...is there a current known speed record for this ascent?