The Big Difference

allthumbs

There was an article in SOF magazine ages ago written by a lawyer who defended people in self-defense shooting cases (No, I don't subscribe). It was very interesting. A couple of the things I picked up from it. Buying a large caliber gun is OK provided its not called "the Manstopper .45" as the prosecutor will have a field day making you (an SOF reader) out to be a total nut. If you can shoot then you're much more likely to stop your assailant with a single round which is much easier to explain that a corpse riddled with shells, which again makes you look like a nut.

"I was in fear for my life. I thought he had a gun."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which reminds me of a certain high profile case... Maybe there's a novel defence to be employed here.

"My client(s) did not mean to kill Mr X. How could they have possibly meant to kill him? They fired 41 times and only hit him 19. These are not the actions of an intentional killer."

So maybe the lesson is to be either a very good shot or a very bad one.

What sort of round would you load it with? I guess something that would go through a couple of layers of sheet rock but not like ten would be good. I guess that would concern me with a .45 too. Hitting the neighbours kids with a stray round, even if I was fighting off a hord of would be murderers might still get me kicked off the block watch committee.

12-gauge with double-ought buckshot. Some people I know load rock salt and have this in the chamber, followed by 00-buckshot in the magazine. The thinking here is that the rock salt will scare them off but won't kill them; if they are wacked out and keep coming you've got some serious ammo behind it to knock them down with.

There are some camps that espouse a lighter shot to get a better pattern in the short distance, but I don't think it matters.

If you want to walk away my 44 doesn't leave caseings left for evidence, leaves a big hole and one bullet does the job even through walls or car doors.

Run for cover winnie gun toten conservatives there's a liberal packen a BIG GUN in town

captaingreybeard

Most wheel guns (revolvers) are rather large and don't carry well. They are kind of wide and the hammer catches on clothing. Plus you only have 6 shots.

.357 and .44 are for the bedside table. evils3d.gif

Edited by captaingreybeard

When a post that is non violent has no direspect for fellow users and only prevokes rational thought gets yanked it can only mean this site does not beleave in freedom of speach and is a click for slected users

I would rather be a bleeding heart liberal that beleaves in freedom than a conservative dictator, suppressive of freedom

buckshot is amateur style. If you want to kill outright, a bolo round will do it. For light weight, flechette rounds will do as much, or more damage than buckshot (but weigh 1/2 as much).

Right smirk.gif, and let's not forget that flechette rounds are very effective against supernatural creatures... especially vampires. BTW, I'm selling some of my toys...interested?

mk19.gif

FOR SALE -- ONE OF A KIND !!!

MK19 Mod3 Semi-Auto Grenade Launcher

$28,000 (pending ATF approval)

... serious buyers only, fire a email to: you'reshittin'me@aol.com for details.

Where do i get one of these and/or can i get one of you right wing freaks to sit on my balcony at shoot the creep who keeps stealin stuff outta my jeep? madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Why don't you quit leaving stuff in your Jeep, Ms. Genius? shocked.gif

Shut up, DFA. Minxy, just stay up late one night with a pellet gun. That'll discourage them.

DFA-the only thing they got this time were my chains. No big deal it's just the principal of the thing. The first time i'd had a looooooooong day, fell asleep on the couch and never made it out to clear all the gear out of my jeep. My fault but damn i shouldn't have to worry about that shit. it's my gear! hands off! I don't make a habit of leaving it in there but it's still wrong so stuff it!