The Big Difference

allthumbs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little late on the disussion here but, my Dad always braught a colt .45 with us when we camped. I don't know if it was legal or what ever, but I knew where it was, I knew not to touch it and i knew that if any one or anything threatened me or mom it was dead. Dad also kept all the guns on a gun rack by the front door. I knew where the bulits were and how to load the guns. Thank god I never had to.

I am not a huge fan of guns. I choose not to learn to shoot or to own a gun. But I sleep with a hunting knife when I camp....

I'd recommend a 1911 .45

i think a baretta or similar 9mm has better penetrating power.

Greg, this subject is so involved and diverse, a statement like that is just preposterous. You should bone up on some facts before making broad statements like that. It makes you look like an idiot.

I'd recommend a 1911 .45

Greg, this subject is so involved and diverse, a statement like that is just preposterous. You should bone up on some facts before making broad statements like that. It makes you look like an idiot.

whoa dude, i admit i am not an expert on the subject. i didn't realize this was a touchy subject for you. cantfocus.gif the only thing i get emotional about is real versus fake. wink.gif

I'd recommend a 1911 .45

whoa dude, i admit i am not an expert on the subject. i didn't realize this was a touchy subject for you. cantfocus.gif the only thing i get emotional about is real versus fake. wink.gif

You guys are all silly.
How about some more
windows?

I'd recommend a 1911 .45

gregm - The reason Trask jumped your shit is that your statement is incorrect. A Baretta is a brand of pistol. A 9-mm is smaller than a .45 ACP round. The .45 packs a huge whallop because it is so heavy - a great manstopper. However, the 9-mm (which I carry) does penetrate better and that is nice for out in the bush where you might encounter a thick-skinned cougar. That said, the relatively new .40 S&W ammunition has proven to combine the best of the .45 and the 9-mm. If I was buying another "carry" gun, it would be chambered in .40 S&W.

rr666 - It depends on your budget. Baretta and Colt make some nice small guns chambered in .45 & 9-mm that are good for carrying. For a "carry" gun you want a piece that isn't too large and doesn't have a lot of protuberances to catch on clothing when you draw; several "hammerless" models are nice for this. There are a few nice former Eastern Bloc manufacturers that make a nice medium-framed pistol that is relatively inexpensive. I carry a Makarov 9X18 which I bought used for about $160; it carries really nice.

Hope that helps.

Greg W

I'd recommend a 1911 .45

gregm - The reason Trask jumped your shit is that your statement is incorrect. A Baretta is a brand of pistol. A 9-mm is smaller than a .45 ACP round. The .45 packs a huge whallop because it is so heavy - a great manstopper. However, the 9-mm (which I carry) does penetrate better and that is nice for out in the bush where you might encounter a thick-skinned cougar. That said, the relatively new .40 S&W ammunition has proven to combine the best of the .45 and the 9-mm. If I was buying another "carry" gun, it would be chambered in .40 S&W.

rr666 - It depends on your budget. Baretta and Colt make some nice small guns chambered in .45 & 9-mm that are good for carrying. For a "carry" gun you want a piece that isn't too large and doesn't have a lot of protuberances to catch on clothing when you draw; several "hammerless" models are nice for this. There are a few nice former Eastern Bloc manufacturers that make a nice medium-framed pistol that is relatively inexpensive. I carry a Makarov 9X18 which I bought used for about $160; it carries really nice.

Hope that helps.

Greg W

how much of a whallop is the 45 going to pack when it runs out of the range most 9mm are capable of? cantfocus.gif

how much of a whallop is the 45 going to pack when it runs out of the range most 9mm are capable of? cantfocus.gif

Good point, Ray. I would counter that with the point that pistols are for close-quarters. Right? I'm looking at maximum effectiveness in the first 30', which a .45 ACP bullet travelling at approx. 850-fps can cover in .0353-seconds without losing too much energy. I can look up some ballistics if you want.

Good point, Ray. I would counter that with the point that pistols are for close-quarters. Right? I'm looking at maximum effectiveness in the first 30', which a .45 ACP bullet travelling at approx. 850-fps can cover in .0353-seconds without losing too much energy. I can look up some ballistics if you want.

Dont waste your time. I'm just fuckin around. wink.gif