Viennese Clarke traverse

Daphne H

I'm looking to do this but can't find much beta. Has anyone done this recently or been up in the Chehalis and know what the snow situation is? I'm wondering what snow gear if any is required.

Most TRs I read take 3 days. We have 2. All of the bivies I've read about are either below Viennese or after Clarke. Is there a good bivy spot for 2 people between the two?

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to do this but can't find much beta. Has anyone done this recently or been up in the Chehalis and know what the snow situation is? I'm wondering what snow gear if any is required.

Most TRs I read take 3 days. We have 2. All of the bivies I've read about are either below Viennese or after Clarke. Is there a good bivy spot for 2 people between the two?

Thanks!

There' still a fair bit of snow on Clarke and nearby.

Don't underestimate the time required to find your way from Upper Statlu up to the climb and back down. There's a good reason most people do it in 3.

We got lost in the fog on the way from Lower Statlu to Upper Statly and missed the lake altogether. Then we traversed Recourse, thinking we were climbing Vienesse in nearly zero visibility. It ended up being a day trip carrying bivy gear... I hope you get better weather!

I would think that from the alpine bench above upper Statlu, that it would be possible to make the traverse in a day and to leave the bivy gear behind for the actual climb, light packs are always good for morale!

So three days isn't a bad itinerary - one mellow paced day finding your way to a high bivy above upper Statlu, a day to do the traverse and descend to the bivy, hike out the following morning.

But if you only have two days, perhaps cutting the traverse off short after recourse and hiking out the same evening would be an option if that is a suitable pace for your party. I am not usually too concerned if I have to pick my way down off a mountain by headlamp, but in the Chehalis the terrain seemed complex to the degree that I felt such an endevour would quickly become an epic... Something to keep in mind.

Edited by marc_leclerc

We left on a clear, beautiful, 25 degree day in Chilliwack.... and then also ended up doing a day trip to upper statlu carrying bivy gear when we were hit by a torrential downpour! Heard the same thing from a party the previous day. Guess that's the Chehalis for you...

After that experience I'll definitely be adding a day to my next attempt.

We got lost in the fog on the way from Lower Statlu to Upper Statly and missed the lake altogether. Then we traversed Recourse, thinking we were climbing Vienesse in nearly zero visibility. It ended up being a day trip carrying bivy gear... I hope you get better weather!

I would think that from the alpine bench above upper Statlu, that it would be possible to make the traverse in a day and to leave the bivy gear behind for the actual climb, light packs are always good for morale!

So three days isn't a bad itinerary - one mellow paced day finding your way to a high bivy above upper Statlu, a day to do the traverse and descend to the bivy, hike out the following morning.

But if you only have two days, perhaps cutting the traverse off short after recourse and hiking out the same evening would be an option if that is a suitable pace for your party. I am not usually too concerned if I have to pick my way down off a mountain by headlamp, but in the Chehalis the terrain seemed complex to the degree that I felt such an endevour would quickly become an epic... Something to keep in mind.

Edited by Daphne H

Thanks for the info. After going up there and seeing/experiencing the approach / descent for myself, will definitely be trying this in three days next time...

Thanks!

There' still a fair bit of snow on Clarke and nearby.

Don't underestimate the time required to find your way from Upper Statlu up to the climb and back down. There's a good reason most people do it in 3.