Dome Peak beta

PAS

We are planning to climb dome, from Downey Creek/Bachelor creek approach.

Many have said to NOT cross Bachelor creek log at 4100', and instead, head up into trees so as to avoid much of the brush. Does anyone here have some details on how to do this part of the approach? Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We climbed Dome a few weeks ago as part of the Ptarmigan Traverse, so I don't have experience following the "trail" uphill, only downhill. We never crossed the creek near there, and stayed on the north side From about 4600' down to Downey creek (best guess on the numbers, I could be way off) and did as you mentioned, staying in the trees as much as possible. I'd recommend doing that if at any point the trail disappears (it did several times for us) and the depths of slide alder hell looms ahead of you.

Good luck.

I climbed Dome & Sinister this past weekend from Downey Creek. The log crossing at 4100' worked fine. Take a hard left uphill and follow the creek a bit after the crossing to stay on old tread through the slide alder.

The key to finding the log crossing is to take a right at a split in the trail at 4100ish. We initially didn't take the left and went straight up and the trail seemed to braid into a bunch of different thrash paths that seemed to peter out so we went back to the log crossing.

Lots of recent beta I've seen says to keep going up one of these paths but for us the log crossing worked fine. I'm sure there are lots of other opinions on it. YMMV.

Enjoy! Once you put in the effort the rewards are certainly worth it.

Adding to what Dana Bellows says, as you work up the hillside on the left side of the creek (after leaving the Downey Creek trail) you'll have no real trouble following the trail through the timber and brush to about 4,000'. On both trips this summer my altimeter said the log crossing is at 4,020'. Before crossing the creek, at the fork that Dana describes, you want to go RIGHT, toward the creek which at that point you can hear very well. Another maybe 100 yards and you will see the magic log crossing. You can walk the log if it's dry or scoot on your butt if it's wet. Exit the log to your left and you'll see the trail through slide alder and bushes. It's not hard to follow at this point. There's occasional flagging and the trail is well beaten in.

The other, left option at the fork would keep you on the left side of the creek until crossing somewhere around 4,500' per other reports. We cannot verify the quality/difficulty of this variation but it's clear people have used it. Word is this left-side alternative will take you to a crossing very near a camp site on the right side of the creek at about 4,500'. The camp site features several fire rings and a large rock with fire scars.