freshies have arrivied

gapertimmy

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

... but unfortunately you are chained to the base of the REI climbing tower????

I've not yet climbed any of the REI walls, but they are on my list. I figure when I obtain your level of skill I should be ready.

Dane

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got blizzarded on at Enchantments over weekend. sat in cave at base of the prong drinking rum & watching "ard core" Conor and Matt suffer up the Burgner Stanley across the way on Prussik. funny seeing what two pitches of chimneys will do to your down jacket wink.gif

quote:

got blizzarded on at Enchantments over weekend. sat in cave at base of the prong drinking rum & watching "ard core" Conor and Matt suffer up the Burgner Stanley across the way on Prussik. funny seeing what two pitches of chimneys will do to your down jacket
wink.gif

Fucker! Already honing in on one of my projects! Hehehe How does it look up close?

I thought you were at Midnight. Good thing I didn't walk up there saturday....

quote:

Originally posted by dane:

I've not yet climbed any of the REI walls, but they are on my list. I figure when I obtain your level of skill I should be ready.

Dane

My amazing skill level comes from large quantities of BS and beer. I will have a training article published in Climbing Mag soon detailing all my secrets. It will be illustrated with pictures of Tori Allen applying the tips described in the article and gradually coming to resemble Mae West.

quote:

Originally posted by tobytortorelli:

"I long for the ice/snow and cold of New England"-dane

well, dane, looks like it's time to go back to the east coast. please bring any friends back with you. hope you get some snow and ice this winter. oh, and tell everyone how the snow quality sucks in washington, that was a good statement you made. thanks.

Hey TT,

No need to get so huffy! I am like many of us a transplant (since 1996) and I love it hear, but sometimes I long for the climbing and weather back east (mostly fall/winter, summers suck there).

As far as snow/skiing goes, I am not going to get into it, but I just hate that moist/slushy stuff (the more common type of snow here) and temps that sometimes barely reach freezing. As far as telling people back east about conditions here, trust me they know and as a previous post pointed out, learning to ski back east makes you good, because the conditions are difficult (icy/hard packed powder).

Oh and Don't worry about me, I'll be ice climbing all winter! smile.gif

Dan E.

All ya PNWesters on skis need to throw on a board. Been skiing all my life in the east coast. Tried a board one demo day with a fresh blanket and was hooked. In the east, you have an excuse to ski with the ice and moguls. Not out here.

Those pot-head boarders sitting on their ass (wasting their money) watching riders rip the half-pipes give the sport a bad name. Boarding on virgin snow and in some trees will blow skiing away.

So sold on the excitment for a real winter (not this rain i see in Portland, as well as the possibility of being laid off), is sending me to Steamboat. Here great things of it. Any beta out there?

All ya PNWesters on skis need to throw on a board. Been skiing all my life in the east coast. Tried a board one demo day with a fresh blanket and was hooked. In the east, you have an excuse to ski with the ice and moguls. Not out here.

Those pot-head boarders sitting on their ass (wasting their money) watching riders rip the half-pipes give the sport a bad name. Boarding on virgin snow and in some trees will blow skiing away.

So sold on the excitment for a real winter (not this rain i see in Portland, as well as the possibility of being laid off), is sending me to Steamboat. Here great things of it. Any beta out there?

quote:

[b Great blister to show off on heel due to stupid boots not breaking in. Got to sleep all cosy like with cute ex-girlfriend in small tent
wink.gif
a worthwhile weekend. I will write it off to "training".

[/b]

as usual drul's blisters scare away the women!!!

also don't give the old boy too much credit. notice he only got cosy. whatever that is?!

take it easy my canadian friend. smile.gif

off to more fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Special Weather Statement

Statement as of 3:30 am PDT on October 11, 2001

...Snow Showers Are Falling In The Mountains This Morning...

A cool upper level trough moved through western Washington overnight. An area of showers and thunderstorms developed in the early morning hours...and ice pellets fell in many areas north and east of Seattle.

These showers have since moved off into The Cascades. With the snow level around 3500 feet early this morning...there is likely to be a couple of inches of new snow on the higher passes...including Stevens Pass. Local ice pellet showers may fall below the snow level...but only brief accumulation is expected below 3500 feet.

Mm

The snow out here in the NW is FAB, I haven't had a problem finding powder MOST weekends out here;

Look for powder in glades of big trees, small stuff, too(you just have to be real snappy!) north facing slopes and terrain traps(although I urge caution to those of you who try that)

If it's slushy, GO HIGHER! even at snoq pass, try the back sides around Nordic/ Windy pass, not at the lifts.

And I am biased, but to fully enjoy the freedom of the hills you must free the heels.

Right on, Beck: the snow here is FAB. Many backcountry skiers go to their few favorite destinations without really thinking about the possibilities of finding different snow conditions above and below timberline, east or west of the crest, in the shade or in the sun, on leeward or windward slopes, etc. Also, sometimes lower is better so that when there is a lot of new wet snow up high there may be great hardpack on slopes at lower elevations. If you want it, great snow conditions are out there waiting for you most of the year. And we don't have to deal with much of that damn pain in the ass snow stuff here in town.

Washington Online Weather says:

"New snow on Wed.: Central Cascades at 6000' & above over 15" of new snow"

yowsa! wonder if that's a typo...

And I will argue that last year's dry winter made for some great skiing. When the freezing level rises high, and it always does, if it precipitates, it ruins the snow everywhere. But if it stays clear and sunny, then the north-facing slopes retain their powder. I think almost everytime I went skiing last year, we found powder.