The best ultralight tent for climbing

maxneale

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a newly converted fan of pyramid floorless shelters. I've started using a titanium wood stove in mine when I'm in an area where wood is available. There is nothing that compares to a hot tent in winter.

BTW-try removing the lower end on the BD trekking pole and inserting the end of the other. Mine work perfect and is a lot stronger than tying them together.

Edited by migolito

When you use the MSR Cam Rings, do you have a single cord strand fixed to the tent tie-out, then the adjustable loop at the stake end? Or a fixed stake loop and the adjustable loop at the tent end? I have Cam Rings on my flat tarp (in the former configuration), and I find the tension extremely difficult to adjust, since there is so much friction between the adjustable loop and the stake.

well...the best tent maybe the one that you have in hand when you need it...and the one that works for you.

no doubt the cuben tents are the lightest, and if couple that with a design that works and that might be the best if cost is not an object.

so you're all right. celebrate diversity.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice tent, on a lower budget silnylon tarps, rectangular or square can do a lot of variations and be fairly lightweight. The light bivy sack and light weight tarp combo gives a lot of options. One can fold a larger tarp into a enclosed pyramid shape for one or two people for harsh weather or have it unfolded for better weather and lower down situations and for more people. And you can carry your light bivy sack up on summit day for an emergency bivy. One can get a larger silnylon tarp and a good light bivy sack for about 400$ or less or a little more depending what you get... at a weight of about double that cuben super tent... But still not that heavy at 3 pounds or so.

Maybe in a few years cuben will drop in price....

• 3 weeks later...

I dropped the money for the 2 person version of this. It is awesome. Two things that stand out for me with it, and maybe why it is worth the extra $$$ is cuben fiber is waterproof and cuben fiber is nearly completely rip resistant. I spent 18 days in the Brooks Range this summer and luckily for me I had sun for 4 of those days. That means 14 days of rain. A waterproof shelter was pretty nice as it still weighed 17oz the entire time.

Secondly, I didn't have to worry about being careful with it. Make it taught and it just hums in the wind. Pile rocks up on the fabric and you don't risk ripping it.

Third, bear pokes his nose in one side, you roll out the other. Floorless is the way to go.