Footwear:Torment-Forbidden

flynclimbhigh

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend, I used hiking boots and strap on crampons, my partner used approach shoes with strap on crampons, and our third used full out mountaineering boots and crampons. Partner and I used climbing shoes for the climb up Torment and Forbidden, but hiking/approach shoes for the rest. Third used mountaineering boots the whole way.

As Dave says... you can probably climb it in anything.

It kind of depends on your ability to climb rock in your approach shoes/boots. When I did the west ridge several years ago I opted for strap on crampons over low top approach shoes and climbed the route in the shoes. Low top shoes may get wet and generally kick steps poorly, but the trade off was not having to carry rock shoes too.

In the Bugaboos last week I was happy with a light boot for all the glacier walking and then I carried rock shoes for most routes (5.8 and up). My feet were dry and the step kicking was chill (enough so that I didn't bring crampons after the first day).

As has been mentioned though, ski boots, mountain boots, flip flops, it can all be done, they just have different trade offs. And make sure your crampons fit what you are using. ;-)