Don_Serl

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Preamble:

The early 90s were an exciting time in the outdoor industry, with expansion and innovation taking place with great vigour. At that time, I was the buyer for outerwear at MEC, and I had the privilege of working with the brilliant designer, Mike Blenkarn, later to go on to achieve even more wondrous things at Arc'teryx. We both had a role in the introduction of reversed-coil, exposed, polyurethane-coated, water-resistant zippers in Gore-Tex jackets, and I'm pleased to be able to help YKK in their quest to recover some 'artefacts' from that time. Details follow...

Edited by Don_Serl

The Request:

Twenty five years ago the world of outdoor apparel was about to undergo a revolution, and Mountain Equipment Co-op was at the forefront. YKK, which supplied the zippers for MEC apparel (and still does) is looking for examples of I) the Couloir Jacket ( Fall/Winter 1993); II) the Couloir 2 Jacket (1994 onwards); and III) the Super Couloir Jacket (1999 onwards).

If you have an old Couloir, Couloir 2, or Super Couloir sitting in your basement, a few years beyond its days of being your stalwart for the outdoors, they'd like to add it to their collection.

How does this work? Well, YKK doesn't want ALL the old Couloirs, just one or two examples in reasonably presentable condition. The Couloir and Couloir 2 ran for half a dozen years virtually unchanged ( 3-ply construction, chest pockets, removable hood) and went thru a variety of two-tone colour combinations, but they can be distinguished from the later Super Couloir by a sewn-on label on the chest - the Super Couloir evolved to a logo embroidered directly to the chest fabric.

What to do? The contact at YKK is Masaki Ichimura. Email a 'full frontal' photo of your jacket ( phone is fine) to Mr. Ichimura at masakiichimura@ykk-usa.com. If your jacket is 'of interest' YKK will contact you and will provide you with shipping details. If your jacket is kept, then YKK will reimburse you for the purchase of a new jacket, with a value up to $800 Canadian ( $600 US) - any size, any colour, any brand, any style - completely your choice. Simply pass along the receipt for reimbursement. If your jacket is not kept, YKK will ship it back to you prepaid, together with payment to cover your outbound shipping costs and a $50 'thank you' gratuity.

Edited by Don_Serl