Strava vs Gaia vs ? + device

olyclimber

How many of you are using tracking software? I see from at least one TR that someone is using Strava with a GPS watch.

I'm just looking at this stuff because:

I tried Gaia for maps on my iPhone on a recent trip to the hills and it was awesome. I also used it to mark a few points, but not for tracking because battery life + I didn't have a waterproof case for my phone at the time.

The other day I went for a road bike ride here in the city and I tried out Strava for the first time and it is pretty awesome too. I really liked the features like the KOH stuff, not that I'm any good, but it is motivational and I like keeping track of things.

I'm not using this stuff for navigation, except for just using Gaia in that I was using it for the maps. My only major concern with that was that my phone battery would die and I would be left without a map, so I carried a paper map too.

I haven't sat down and tried to compare Strava to Gaia feature by feature.

So my questions for you are:

1. What software are you using?

2. What device are you using to provide the tracking?

3. What do you like/not like about it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1a) For trip planning: Avanet (export .gpx to phone), then Caltopo for custom .pdf maps.

1b) on my phone: Gaia, Avenza PDF Maps

1c) on my computer: Strava (for running only)

2) Suunto Ambit 2R with GPS tracking.

I download the saved tracks from my watch to computer, then sync with phone for the next trip.

Edited by kurthicks

One solution is to carry an energy storage battery with you and recharge your phone as needed. They come in different sizes and even the big ones that hold 6-7 phone charges don't weight much more than your phone.

Edit to add that I LOVE Gaia. I have not used Strava and can't comment on it.

I use Strava on my phone for running and biking and I really like it. I use Gaia for backcountry navigation and tracking. Here is my take on it.

I really like the Strava website as it is a great online platform (on the computer) to see speeds, distance, elevation, segments, and other good stuff post workout. And honestly you can upload your Gaia track as a .gpx file and it has pretty much all the same stuff.

The thing that sucks about Strava is battery life on the phone. It drains it pretty rapidly especially if you don't have good cell service....like hiking in the mountains. Gaia on the other hand will work with you phone in "Airplane mode". Just download the map section to where you are going prior to the trip and then use the app with your phone in airplane mode. I spent 4 days up around the Boston Basin area and used Gaia for navigation and to track all of my travels. I took a small AA charger and used it once to charge my phone from 20% back to 100%. But for day trips or even shorter weekend trips my iPhone 5 battery will last with the track on during hiking. And if you don't have the app tracking you could just use the app for navigation and I suspect it would last multiple days easily.

Honestly I have stopped carrying a handheld GPS as the topo on Gaia is easier to read, scroll, and zoom then my Garmin. Oh and if battery life on your phone is an issue sometimes you can get an extra battery pack or battery case for you phone that will extend the life. Or there are plenty of small chargers that you could take on longer trips to recharge your phone.

I definitely like both Strava and Gaia after using them both for a little while.

Strava for keeping tracks and the KOH stuff when road biking. I actually have a Suunto right now so it goes Movescount>Strava.

Gaia for downloading maps and finding location in the mtns using my phone (got a water proof case for it and an external battery pack to ensure it lasts).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• 5 weeks later...

Gaia on the iphone for wilderness navigation. I too have stopped carrying a GPS in favor of the phone. I've found I can do up to 5 days with an old phone battery and no recharges if I'm using GPS sparingly and diligent about turning the phone off when not in use. If I think I might navigate with it for extended periods I carry a little charger that is good for 1 1/2 charges.

For tracking I have a Garmin Edge 25 that lasts up to 10hrs. Super tiny and synchs to the phone / strava without hassle. I like that it's so tiny and that I don't have to carry my phone with me - but if I lived somewhere where there were more roads for riding I'd probably get a larger one that has a built in navigation screen.

You can use Strava without data in airplane mode. I did this recently in Spain to avoid roaming charges; Strava just uses GPS on phone and then will save info to app on phone until you turn back on cellular data or WIFI, then will upload automatically to Strava site. FYI

Edited by canela

Gaia is great in foreign countries too. I've used it in Canada, Costa Rica, Peru, Mexico, Czech Republic. I've used it in cities and in remote outdoor settings. It's a way to have map functionality without an expensive roaming data plan or dedicated GPS.