Reformed Boulderer Seeking Partners

0x6E62

I'm a boulderer who was convinced/conned by friends into believing I need more Type II fun in my life and have since started mountaineering and trad climbing. While I have all the requisite gear, I am sorely in need of partners - my crew of climbing compatriots are far more interested in recreating scenes from Scarface with their chalk bags than fiddling with gear or extricating each other from a crevasse.

My aim for the summer is primarily to be in better condition to make the most of next year and potentially attempt some of the easier winter routes around the Cascades. To make it more concrete, routes I'm keen on attempting this season include:

* SW Rib of Southern Early Winter Spire

* Mt. Shuskan, SE Rib

* Eldorado, NE Face

* Liberty Bell, NE Face

So why climb with me?

Qualifications:

* Climbing

* Boulder V5/V6, Project V7ish

* Sport: Limited experience outdoors - has never been a priority. 10s at vantage and 38 were comfortable, have never tried to push my sport grade outdoors (got into trad before that happened)

* Trad: Have lead first pitches of a few Castle Rock classics like Cat Burglar (5.6), Midway (5.6), Canary (5.8), and first two of Remorse on Snow Creek Wall. Seconded Sabre, Outer Space

* Have rope, rack, enough spare chalk to share for several lifetimes if not pebble wrestling

* Will belay slave you on your proj at Index for hours without complaint

* Mountaineering:

* One summit of Baker as part of 4 day general mountaineering course; no other notable experience

* Crevasse rescue, self-arrest, roped travel covered as part of course but 100% in need of more practice to feel solid

* Confident with anchors, belaying etc. due to climbing experience

* Former endurance athlete. Suffering is the fun part, right?

* No aversion to driving long distances for an experience that is likely only to be fun in retrospect.

* Misc:

* I bring baked goods for every excursion, which previous partners have described with glowing praise such as "Not a Clif bar", "is this gluten free?", and "that definitely looked like a brownie"

* Avowed fan of alpine starts: I get up at 5AM every day anyways, what's a few hours difference?

* I scrounged to save on every gram of gear so that true essentials like an Aeropress and fresh grounds can be lugged lovingly carried to basecamp

* Available every weekend, and able and willing to take a vacation day or two for the perfect weather window

If it sounds like we'd be compatible, PM me and I am happy to chat and better determine whether we'll get along on pitch 11 of a WA Pass classic or hour twenty-three of a car-to-car slog.

Edited by 0x6E62

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I just started mountaineering and am also looking for partners. I climbed Mt baker last week with a rope team and I am familiar with most of the techniques required for glacier travel. Although I don't have a background in climbing, I have been on many backpacking trips and love a good long slog. I'll send you a PM.