Triolet or Trango Alp

mike1

My Scarpas have seen their last climb at 10 years. I'm sold on this level of 3 season boot and see La Sportiva now has a comparable boot. La Sportiva has always fit me well due to my narrow feet, but the Triolet (plural?) fit well too. I'm on the fence about going with what I know - a new pair of Triolet or picking up the Trango Alp. Is anyone out there wearing the Trangos? Pros/Cons?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit US Outdoor, Climbmax, OMC, and Mountain Shop and OMC was the only on to carry the Alp but not in my size. I tried a Triolet against the Cube and they both fit well, but the La Sportiva fit was way better for me so I'll go for the Trango Alp Evo. Next question is do you know of any good online resources I might find some deals?

I got my second pair of Trango Alps this year and love them. More comfortable than the last iteration and look to be similarly durable. I don't have a source for deals, they are a relatively new boot so I imagine you won't see a sale for some time.

I was wondering how the Triolet and Alp could fit you similarly, my experience is it is either one or the other but not both with Scarpa and LS. Sounds like this is what you have settled on as well.

I wouldn't expect 10 years out of them though. My last pair of Alps were pretty trashed when they were ready for a re-sole (~6 years). But, it probably depends on where you climb mostly. The North Cascades are pretty hard on boots and mine never survive to a re-sole.

I think the Triolet fit well because I always wore thick socks and good arch support. This kept them snug until age and use stretched the leather enough to losen the width. Now my toes are impacting the toe box on descents. La Sportive have always fit a little tight until broken in so my fit must be right in the middle of the two... if that makes any sense.

Yep, sure does. That's a tough call then. Maybe a thinner sock and lower profile footbeds will make the Alps comfy out of the box?

They seem like a fantastic boot. I am impressed with the re-design. One tip I've found is to not lace the boots too tight. There isn't a lot of padding, esp. around the ankle. Even without the boots cranked down, my feet don't seem to slide around.

I know its not either, but I just got a pair of Trango Cube GTXs off of ebay...used but brand new from some guy in Indiana. They are super comfortable! I'm replacing a pair older Trangos (not sure which model)...but the shoe box is way better with the new ones. My old boots were good, but not this good! Can't speak for the Scarpas, but I do have a pair Scarpa mountaineering boots that I keep because they fit.

I think that is the biggest deal with mountaineering boots. Just find something that fits good and comfortable. I have had boots that didn't fit and tried to make them work in the past...stupid. Return them or sell them if they are hurting your feet and go get something that works for you. Boot fits always seem to be changing so just believe in your feet when they tell you what to buy or keep.

I tried the cubes on and they do fit like a glove. In wanting to stick with the leather I opted for the Trango Alps. Just received them yesterday and I can tell you the fit is almost identical to the cube. Pretty psyched about getting my climb on now!