Marymoor Parking Fees

Cascadian

"Marymoor Park will offer parking payment options to suit how visitors use the park. Frequent visitors, for example, will be able to purchase monthly and half-yearly passes at significantly reduced rates, rather than pay the $1 fee each time they park. A monthly pass will cost $20, a long-term pass of four months or more will cost $10 per month, and a six-month pass will cost $50. "

So, it's $100 a year to walk my dogs and climb some...

I think I'll park on the street behind the Velodrome.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

www.metrokc.gov/parks

Saw the sign today on my way in to walk my dogs. Big, bold letters.

Yes, it's crap. Yes, there is free parking right behind the velodrome. And if they ban parking there, I'll open up parking in my lot, which is a 5 minute walk away. They can't make it illegal to walk to the park...

...can they?

Man, I hate the New Economy...

Here's their offical response to my smartass email to them:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 3:19 PM

Subject: Feedback from Parks & Recreation Web site

You've got to be out of your minds if you think the throngs of soccor moms going to Marymoor Park will pay your proposed parking fee without protest! Not to mention the peace loving dog walkers, bicyclers, climbers, and average citizens. It's CRAZY!

Dear XXX,

We appreciate the time you took to contact us and offer your thoughts on the proposed parking fees at Marymoor Park. The input from you and other park users was very helpful to us. We have prepared this letter to answer many of the questions raised. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us at parks.feedback@metrokc.gov.

As you are likely aware, King County and its Parks and Recreation Division face an unprecedented budget crisis. Reduced sales tax revenues and voter-approved initiatives contributed to a County budget shortfall of $52 million for 2003.

As a result, the County's parks budget was reduced from $25.5 million in 2002 to $16.4 million in 2003. In 2002, the parks division had 283 FTEs (full-time equivalent employees). For 2003, that number has been reduced to 153. Further cuts are expected to be necessary in 2004 and beyond. Given current limitations on general tax revenues, we must find new non-tax revenues, such as parking fees, to support the maintenance and operation of King County Parks. Maintenance costs at Marymoor Park are approximately $800,000 per year, and fees will cover only a portion of those costs. In addition to fees, we are aggressively seeking revenue from sponsorships and other public-private ventures.

In response to input received on Marymoor parking fees, we will not be offering an annual pass at this time. Instead, we will give visitors the option of paying a daily fee of $1 or purchasing a six-month pass for $50. Parking fees at Marymoor will be implemented in the first part of 2003. The current proposal is for an honor-box system for the first six months, followed by an electronic system. We plan to provide drop-off areas so that people can use the park without incurring parking charges.

We appreciate your continued interest in and support of parks, and encourage you to stay involved. If you would like to subscribe to receive e-mail updates about the King County Parks Transition Plan, send an e-mail message to listman@metrokc.gov with the words "Subscribe KCParks" in the subject line of the message.

The complete list of 2003 user fees is posted on the King County Parks web page. The link is www.metrokc.gov/parks. Even with the new fees, recreation costs at King County parks compare favorably to alternate recreation opportunities available from the private sector.

Our success in continuing to manage quality parks, trails and resource and ecological lands depends on the support we get from you. Thank you again for your interest.

i like the idea of a $5000 electronic collection machine. and i wonder how long it takes the king county park system to wear out those 2 year old trucks they drive?? i mean at like 10k miles a year...prolly like a season or two...i bet there are other ways in which to reducing spending....but it wont be where they hurt themselves...only the people the parks are meant for.

You vote to lower taxes, and then act all surprised when there are fees for things that used to be "free." hahaha.gif

It's that the cuts they chose seem to be quite vindictive that irritates the hell out of me. Thay aren't shuttering the State Capital dining room with it's french chef, but I have to pay to park anywhere in the damn state except my own driveway.

How about Gary Locke and the rest of the schmucks take it in the shorts, too? Maybe a nice fat paycut, or maybe cut the size of the State House in half. They are quick to point out that these cuts won't make a difference, so they shouldn't make them. Poppycock.

mad.gif

Absolutely not directed at you in particular....directed at the electorate.

BTW congratulations on getting our hobbly friend out to a Pub Club. Sorry I wasn't there, would have gone if I'd known you 2 were making an appearance.

CC, my mom is UW staff. They did away with merit raises a few years back, and haven't had any kind of cost of living increase in two years. Here at the city level I haven't had a full cost of living increase in at least four years.

You vote to lower taxes, and then act all surprised when there are fees for things that used to be "free." hahaha.gif

It's that the cuts they chose seem to be quite vindictive that irritates the hell out of me. Thay aren't shuttering the State Capital dining room with it's french chef, but I have to pay to park anywhere in the damn state except my own driveway.

How about Gary Locke and the rest of the schmucks take it in the shorts, too? Maybe a nice fat paycut, or maybe cut the size of the State House in half. They are quick to point out that these cuts won't make a difference, so they shouldn't make them. Poppycock.

mad.gif

excellent points CC! they do seem to be choosing cuts that hurt the taxpayer 1st and them 2nd and that is what pisses me off. it is not their money to spend.

one thing that gets me is the seattle skool district.

how can they justify a 57 million dollar headquarters and then end up with a 46 million dollar deficeit??

and then there was the new 20+ million dollar elementary skool up in queen anne..

how about being a bit more spend thrift?? and why do the administrators need such a fancy hi-tech building??? i personally think that is a sickening waste of public monies

Josh, i've wondered the same thing and wondered how it could possibly cost us millions to determine that.

The cost is 1.9 million to change traffic signs and improve some of the lanes because they're not made for people merging in and out of them.

The net gain in terms of easing traffic is thought to be zero.

Opening the car pool lanes at night and on weekends would provide no travel-time advantage to general traffic, said Charlie Howard, a policy director with the state Department of Transportation, who yesterday presented study results to the HOV policy board. By the same token, however, opening the lanes at night would not adversely affect transit or other HOV users, Howard said.

from http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transportation/90954_hov12.shtml

Opening the HOV lanes isn't going to do a damn thing to help traffic. It's just going to make getting anywhere harder during rush hour for those people who do make an effort to carpool. I take the bus and the last thing I want is to wait in traffic with everybody else chatting on their cell phones in their suburbans with only 1 passanger. jeezus, what a waste! hellno3d.gif