[TR] Buckhorn Mountain - Marmot Pass 6/12/2016

olyclimber

Trip: Buckhorn Mountain - Marmot Pass

Date: 6/12/2016

Trip Report:

I hiked up Buckhorn Mountain via the Big Quilcene/Marmot Pass on Sunday. It was well worth the effort.

I remember first cresting Marmot Pass when I was in Boy Scouts. It was one of our first trips (of many to follow) and it was so cool to see the interior of the Olympics come into view.

My expert tracking skills told me that many men had travelled the upper Big Quil trail, more than the 8 cars in the parking lot indicated. When I got back to the car at 1pm there were 35 cars. Very popular hike, for good reason. I passed everyone and their dog (literally, they brought their dog) on hike back down. Dogs of all types. I don't remember dogs being allowed in Wilderness areas, but apparently they are. The signs at the trailhead even say to keep your animal on a leash. And as far as "many men"...it was actually mostly women I passed, like 2 to 1 women to men.

But if you get up at 4:30 and hit the trail by 5am, you'll have the trail to yourself. I didn't bring a dog. Nor did I bring my three legged cat.

The clouds were burning off right below Camp Mystery for me, and from there you were above the clouds. The views were good into the interior. And Constance, Warrior Peaks, and others to the south were in full view. The other hills to the northwest were still there: Buckhorn Peak, Iron Mountain, and Townsend. And views down into Tubal Cain. And Rainier. And the sun even came through and warmed things up when the wind died down for a while. Eventually another party joined me in sunbathing on the summit.

Got back down to the trailhead at 1pm and had time to stop in Quilcene and visit a friend and his new baby. And got on the 4pm Southworth to Fauntleroy ferry.

27038051903_e8c54d2344_b.jpg

27038190393_f163da09ee_b.jpg

27648249795_34c81070a5_b.jpg

27648289655_518942ed12_b.jpg

27574373861_4aa0a18864_b.jpg

27370284250_f8a8a31d85_b.jpg

27370278690_6249188c87_b.jpg

27548275042_4cf237b92c_b.jpg

27548297482_c324799384_b.jpg

27037229654_3c5528ecca_b.jpg

27370402010_08eba0c577_b.jpg

27370285300_a445dbb10c_b.jpg

[video:youtube]BRTwIs03qpQ

Gear Notes:

Arcteryx wind shirt

Approach Notes:

hike up the big quil, trail splits off Tubal Cain trail after Marmot Pass

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love, love, love the cloud sea! One of the best things about an early start or a high bivy around these parts. Thanks for the report, that is a great area.

And dogs are (always?) allowed in wilderness areas, at least in my experience. National parks are a different story, however.

Did the hammock keep the rodents off you?

Edited by JasonG

yeah nary a rodent spotted or heard, and that is why i chose the hammock. i did keep all food in the car too.

funny thing, I had trouble finding the shelter at first (and its right next to the road)! i had not been up there since my scouting days and back then it was visible from the road (or at least I recall). I also think this shelter was rebuilt since i was up there last as I recall it facing the opposite direction....also not many initials carved in it at the moment. i think this and the Boulder Shelter I visited last week must have been rebuilt at the same time...though the Boulder Shelter probably needs to be rebuilt more often given it is at the base of an avie chute.

regarding dogs in the wilderness, I don't know why I thought otherwise, but i did. between all the dogs I saw here and the ones we saw at Lena Lake, I do know now.

I sure as heck don't mind women in any regard or occasion...but the dogs in the wilderness area...I don't know. I didn't hear a single marmot whistle the whole time I was up there. I suppose they all had enough of all the traffic (myself included) and were all whistled out. half the dogs i saw were unleashed.

the real problem is that there are just too many humans on the planet. its starting to feel really crowded. thank jebus there are places less popular than this you can still escape to. this isn't one of them ;)....though it is beautiful and worth visiting.

and i can remember it being much less popular, when REI was an actual COOP rather than a life style brand hucking whatever makes the most money.

I think it is time for people to advocate (to their electeds) on behalf of the USFS to re-establish those hundreds of miles of trails that have been neglected or abandoned for decades. Sure seems like hiking is getting popular enough for voices to be heard. Spreading out the use make a difference, though perhaps not on the dog front.

I agree that Fido should be left at home, though I'm sure some of you will say I'm a terrible person. That's OK, I know.