Advice appreciated

ekampp

HI everybody.

I'm planning to climb Mt. Rainier in ultimo March, primo April 2017.

Does anybody have suggestions for good companies, or care to take a novice mountaineer under their wing for the trip?

And is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God dag,

Alan Arnette has a fine writeup answering most of your questions here. I'm sure everyone has their favorites but all three authorized guide services are great. It mainly depends on what route you want to do.

Mt. Rainier is a serious object for a novice and you are talking about a somewhat early season climb. I would recommend being very fit when you arrive and having gained what experience you can manage. There is no reason novice can't safely succeed but the weather will be unreliable and you should be prepared to bail on your attempt.

I have a write up as well, kind of a Cliff Notes (har-har) for climbing Rainier: http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-to-climb-mt-rainier/507227

I'm planning to climb Mt. Rainier in ultimo March, primo April 2017.

Does anybody have suggestions for good companies, or care to take a novice mountaineer under their wing for the trip?

I think attempting Rainier in the winter as a novice is a bad idea. If you intend to go guided, be aware that the 'guide season' does not start until May. If you are set on a winter attempt, you should be looking for winter/expedition seminars, I know RMI offers trips like that, perhaps the other companies that guide on Rainier do as well.

Edited by DPS

Unless you have a very large window (and a guide), your chances of success during that time frame are slim to none. Often we have some of our most active weather of the season during that time, and we are heading into a La Nina.

Come in mid-July and hire a guide service. I suspect nearly all of them that guide Rainier will give you a great experience.

Spend that grand on plane tickets and copy of Freedom of the Hills.

Come out here and take a crack at Hood, then find a partner on CC.com with a little glacier experience and hit Rainier in July.

Shit, spend that winter boot and parka money on another plane ticket and just come in the summer!