Death at Aasgard Pass

G-spotter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years ago my partner and I pulled out a mother and daughter on Mt Baker who had done just this on the approach to the Coleman/Demming Glacier. What a horrible way to go. My thoughts and good wishes go out to friends and family.

same thing happened to a woman on aasgard pass. maybe 10 years ago? I think I know the exact spot where both would have died. right in the fall line (of course) and could happen to most people if unlucky enough to be out of control. or in control for that matter.

Same thing happened on Baker in 1996(?). Glissading down the draw West of the Hogsback, into the crack and down to the base of the hidden waterfall. I was on Mt. Rescue at the time, first and last time I zipped someone into a body bag. Not fun...

My rescue was in the same place in 1994 or 1995. Fortunately we pulled out two living people.

There have been at least two more deaths at Baker in that same spot (just skier's left below the top of the hogsback) over the past decade. BMR actually ribboned it off after pulling a couple people out in one week a few seasons ago.