[TR] Glacier Peak - White Pass - Dissappointment Peak 5/31/2016

Zigz

Trip: Glacier Peak - White Pass - Dissappointment Peak

Date: 5/31/2016

Trip Report:

Wrote a long post but lost it when attempting to add image... :(

Here is a link to a video I made if you want some imagery and intel on conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS5yhObh_I

Trip Report:

We did a one nighter.

day 1: Made our way into whitepass around 7pm leaving North Fork Sauk TH at 1215pm.

day 2: whitepass to summit back to whitepass and finally back to car was 22.5 hrs....)

The traverse around white mountain still has large patches of snow which provided the most danger on the trip in my opinion (especially on our way back at night).

We left whitepass at 7am and summited around 330pm. Was able to keep skis on all the way back to camp (several transitions of course...). So yes, it is totally worth skiing still in my opinion!

On approach from whitepass, gain ridge and drop down just east of whitemountain into the meadows (some really nice ski lines in here). Skin up the obvious shoot or climbers right. This will provide the most direct route to Glacier Gap.

We made a mistake on our approach and ended up way right following some climbers. We ended up doing quite a few transitions with the ups and downs on the west side of white chuck glacier. We skied out the above recommended route out and it was a consistent and very mellow slope to and from glacier gap. (you will have to gain the White Mountain ridge on way back to White Pass which is 600ft or so, but no way around this as far as I know...

Road in has a nasty boulder field just before trailhead. I was able to get through it with a Tacoma (you can see this section in the end of my video I made). It's worse than it looks in the video! Some cars didn't attempt it and it's a short hike to TH from here anyhow. Worth 4X4ing if you like that kind of thing :).

Didn't bring ropes or harness based on another trip report I read. Didn't feel the need for them on the route. I was able to skin to summit with ski crampons and again keep skis on all the way back to my tent at white pass.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for reading,

Zach

Gear Notes:

Skinned to top with ski crampons. Booted on some exposed rock at 10K but could have skinned climbers left (skied this).

Approach Notes:

North Fork Sauk Trail to White Pass (camp)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic