Mountain plane crashes in Google Maps

olyclimber

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father flew the civilian version for United and was not overly fond of it or the DC-6 which was kind of raining out of the sky in the 50s. They called my mother shortly after I was born and told her he had gone down in one (a 6), but it turned out to be a different flight and crew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Douglas_DC-4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Douglas_DC-6

The base of the N side of Slesse is too low of resolution, but anyone that's been through there has at least seen the props and wheels.

Slesse

This brings up another story...

When I was living in New Mexico I had heard of a crash site on the West face of the Sandia Crest. The Crest is a 10,000 ft high ridge on the East side of Albuquerque, it rises above Albuquerque for 5,000' at a 45 deg angle on it's Western face.

On February 19, 1955 at 7:03 am TWA flight 260 crashed with all 16 on board lost. Originally blamed on pilot error it was later suspected to be a heading instrument defect. It was heavy cloud cover and IFR and they were supposed to be going North but headed straight West into the mountain.

One of my friends from work (Pete) had been to the site and recovered some pieces. Another friend at work named Mark had been really interested in seeing the site but had been unable to find it after multiple attempts. I had pretty good route finding skills at the time and Pete sketched me a diagram/map of how to find the site.

So me and Mark with his wife and son in tow drove to the top of the Crest and proceded down the steep face as described by Pete's map. We found the site right away and here's where it starts to get weird.

Mark got really sick as soon as we came upon the crash site. We stayed for about an hour and found many pieces of wreckage including some bone fragments which Mark found. Mark was describing bad flu like symptoms and you could see he wasn't doing too well. We eventually headed back up to the car at the top of the crest, where Mark mysteriously and suddenly started feeling well again and after 10 minutes or so was feeling completely fine.

But that apparently was nothing compared to the news Mark got the very next day. Apparently one of his close personal friends had crashed his WW2 replica airplane straight into the side of a mountain in Arizona, at almost the exact same time we were at the NM crash site the day before. The two people on board both perished in the accident.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sandia+crest+airplane+crash&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSiJHN_I_NAhVN9GMKHY3dABsQsAQIOA&biw=1600&bih=789