Mt Olympus

wrecker

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey wrecker, fairweather posted this last winter in response to a similar question:

"Olympus has rarely been climbed in winter. The route above Elk Lake crosses several VERY steep avalanche chutes that would require belayed climbing. As of 1989 it was uncertain if Olympus had EVER been climbed in winter.(with the exception of the helicopter supported researchers at the IGY station) I'm sure it is possible, but the level of hardship required goes beyond what the "average" climber is interested in.

I'd love to hear if anyone here has done it or has any info about successful winter ascents. I have often wondered if a route up Tom Creek would be the way to do Olympus in winter."

Last March I hiked up the Hoh, there was tons of snow and travel was impossible beyond the Olympus Guard Station (9 miles in). A climb of Olympus would have been next to impossible last winter, this winter who knows?

Actually, the west peak or true summit is not visible in the posted photo, but is off to the west (right). It's in a line with the cleaver which is furthest to the right in the photo. I have a photo showing it, but I don't have a web account, and I remain too clueless to figure out how to post photos in this medium.

You could probably avoid avalanche paths on the way to Olympus if you went in via the Elwha, to Dodwell-Rixon pass, then west to the Humes Glacier, across Blizzard Pass, traverse the Hoh Glacier, then to Glacier Pass, which is the saddle visible in the left center of the posted photo. Of course, just to Dodwell-Rixon Pass is something like 36 miles from the road. Not exactly a time saver.

Edited by Norman_Clyde

Hi wrecker,

My friend Ted and I climbed most of Olympus in February 1995. We went up the Hoh trail, and hit snow about OGS. We camped a couple of miles further up. The next day we went to glacier meadows and camped there. The trail above elk lake has some exposed avalance chutes, and the trail was filled in at a steep angle by heavy snow. We were a little intimidated, and roped up and used crampons and ice axes for some parts of the trail just before glacier meadows. It would be a long ride down into the deep drainage below. There did not seem to be a high chance of avalanche being triggered by us, so that was ok. We went up during one of those 2 week high pressure arctic fronts. It was quite cold at glacier meadows, about 4200 ft. We did not need skis at that time because the snow was so consolidated. We camped two nights at the glacier meadows to scout the route. The next day we went up the moraine, and dropped down it and crossed the blue glacier. The crossing was easy, no crevasses showing, and no rocks on the climb to snow dome. We ascended to the top of snow dome and ate lunch on the top of the hut over by panic point. Should have gone on to west peak since it was not that far away, but the days are short, and we had done enough. I feel sure that it has been climbed in winter, but know of no one who has done it. It just is a long climb, 18 miles into glacier meadows, and a bit of time on the mountain. We had a great time though, and you should give it a try if the snow conditions look good. Try a climb during a high pressure window. On the way down, when we hit the bad part of the trail, where the snow concealed it in the avalance slopes, we just walked across without ropes, I guess we were more complacent and it didnt seem so bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...