[TR] Mount Adams - South Spur 5/30/2016

HHinkkala

Trip: Mount Adams - South Spur

Date: 5/29/2016

Trip Report:

My brother and I decided to do a late spring daytrip ski on Mount Adams since neither of us had been there before. We drove down in the rain from BC Saturday morning and camped at the cold springs campground. Forgot it was memorial weekend so tons of traffic on the roads and on the mountain, much more then I'm used to...

We left camp at 3:30am, summit at 10:30am back at car at 12:30pm. Ferocious wind at the summit, was afraid my skies would blow away as I was trying to step in...Top half of pikers peak slope was bullet proof snow/ice, lower portion down to the trail head was glorious corn. Considering it was so windy and cold near the top I'm not certain a later start would have made a difference to soften the snow up high. We had to walk around 20minutes on trail before reaching the snowline.

After getting back to the vehicle we tried to take a shortcut by driving through NF-23 Gifford Pinchot Road to Randle, then to Seattle...turns out the road is completely washed out about 23miles in so we had to drive all the way back...Other then that it was a good trip.

20160529_070641.jpg

Pikers Peak long slope

20160529_102128_Summit.jpg

Windy and cold summit

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting back to the vehicle we tried to take a shortcut by driving through NF-23 Gifford Pinchot Road to Randle, then to Seattle...turns out the road is completely washed out about 23miles in so we had to drive all the way back...

Thanks for the beta, very good to know for those doing an after work drive from Seattle on a Friday night for a Saturday ski.

*edit* appears it will be out for some time:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=72029

5/31/2016: Road is washed out at MP 12, MP 18 and MP 23.4 This section of the road will be closed the entire Summer of 2016. Rd. 23 from Trout Lake to the West side of Mt. Adams (Takhlakh Lake area) is open , but has not been maintained and is in rough condition. Rd. 23 is currently open to Rd. 90 intersection for those wishing to access the Lewis River . View a map of inaccessible roads on the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District to determine alternative access routes. Call the Ranger District at 360-497-1100 for additional information.

Edited by NDrake