Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Kozman50

Shuksan -- Fisher Chimney -- Snow

Recommended Posts

I am heading out west to climb Shuksan on June 5th. From what I can see on mountain-forecast.com, there is a significant snow storm forecast for the mountain this week/weekend. Several feet predicted at the summit (rain down below).

 

Questions: (1) anyone one climbed this route after a spring storm like this? I am assuming the trail will not be packed out and wonder about avalanche danger. Any beta/tips/advice would be appreciated.

 

(2) Is there a better weather site for higher elevations in the Cascades than mountain-forecast? I haven't found one (yet).

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avalanche danger could be very high during and after a significant snow storm. I think Fisher Chimneys is a fine route, but I think of it as a late season route after the snow has melted out of the chimneys. Better now might be the Sulphide Glacier. Should have lower avalanche danger. Also, you did not mention which source you are using for mountain weather forecasts, so it is difficult to say if you are using a good one or what. That said, I like this synoptic table - gives you an easy way to knowing where to go. http://lost-in-the-mountains.com/washington_climbing.php

 

Slightly off topic, but if you find the weather in the North Cascades to be inclement, you could head east, over the crest, and possibly find better conditions in the Stuart Range and Enchantments.

Edited by DPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick reply. If the snow forecast proves to be accurate, we might change gears given the avy danger. Couldn't get a permit for the Enchantments . . .

 

And thanks for the weather link (I have been looking at mountain-forecast.com - not sure how reliable it is).

 

Appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because you don't have a permit for the Enchantments doesn't mean you can't climb in there. With a good boot pack and an early start many of the climbs can be done car to car in a day which you don't need one of the lottery overnight permits for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, there is a daily lottery (7:30ish) at the ranger station in Leavenworth. There is at least one permit for each Enchantment zone available every morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×