Shuksan -- Fisher Chimney -- Snow

Kozman50

I am heading out west to climb Shuksan on June 5th. From what I can see on mountain-forecast.com, there is a significant snow storm forecast for the mountain this week/weekend. Several feet predicted at the summit (rain down below).

Questions: (1) anyone one climbed this route after a spring storm like this? I am assuming the trail will not be packed out and wonder about avalanche danger. Any beta/tips/advice would be appreciated.

(2) Is there a better weather site for higher elevations in the Cascades than mountain-forecast? I haven't found one (yet).

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avalanche danger could be very high during and after a significant snow storm. I think Fisher Chimneys is a fine route, but I think of it as a late season route after the snow has melted out of the chimneys. Better now might be the Sulphide Glacier. Should have lower avalanche danger. Also, you did not mention which source you are using for mountain weather forecasts, so it is difficult to say if you are using a good one or what. That said, I like this synoptic table - gives you an easy way to knowing where to go. http://lost-in-the-mountains.com/washington_climbing.php

Slightly off topic, but if you find the weather in the North Cascades to be inclement, you could head east, over the crest, and possibly find better conditions in the Stuart Range and Enchantments.

Edited by DPS

Thanks for the quick reply. If the snow forecast proves to be accurate, we might change gears given the avy danger. Couldn't get a permit for the Enchantments . . .

And thanks for the weather link (I have been looking at mountain-forecast.com - not sure how reliable it is).

Appreciated.

Just because you don't have a permit for the Enchantments doesn't mean you can't climb in there. With a good boot pack and an early start many of the climbs can be done car to car in a day which you don't need one of the lottery overnight permits for.