Fred's life documentary teaser

genepires

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they don't keep that title.

Should "Dirtbag" really be the first thing that comes to mind when one considers such an iconic climber, explorer, and with all his geologic descriptions, basically a natural scientist?

I hope not. Perhaps the filmmakers were just trying to get a cheap laugh, and soon will come to their senses and correct it.

I find it interesting how if you read the older lit, specifically that Greg Child article, dirtbag is definitely a derogatory term, but it has somehow now lost those connotations and is now applied to the lifestyle that Fred Beckey and co. pioneered.

I suspect that there is a substantial generation gap in how climbers define the term.

Frankly, you can call shit feces, or wastes, but the smell doesn't change.

Dressing up the dirtbag climber lifestyle that Fred pioneered with some euphemism won't make it any more glamorous or publicly acceptable.

Voluntary poverty, homelessness, borderline petty theft, and lack of regular hygiene: if those are the tradeoffs for 600 alpine FAs, then that's a choice that was made willingly.

well, a lot of people who call themselves "dirt bags" these days sure aren't at least in the way that Fred defined it via how he has lived...and certainly haven't dedicated themselves to the "lifestyle". not that there is wrong with wanting a more comfortable life.

but just like no one has or will come close to his 600 alpine FAs, living in your pimped out van for a summer isn't exactly being a dirtbag. IN MY OPINION WHICH IS WHAT MATTERS.