Non smoking Pub club

Dave_Schuldt

For what it's worth, I'll vote for a non-smoking pub every time for health reasons, the fact that I like to wear my clothes more than once before having to wash them, and because I really hate going to bed with all that crap in my hippie hair.

But, I'll go to the pub clubs from time to time where ever they are...probably more often at the non-smoking venues than the others. moon.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iceguy you seem to think that the arguement for smoking bars is being made by smokers.

Col Von S, Mattp, and myself do not smoke cigarettes. I can't speak for Col. or Matt, but I dislike tobacco smoke. However, I am willing to put up with it when choosing a drinking establishment because most of the nonsmoking bars I've been to in the Seattle area suck. Life is too short to spend your free time in fern bars with prudish and rude employees.

That being said I do like the Latona, and I might be willing to try out a nonsmoking bar I haven't been to (once) .

Although Captian Spanker seems to be generally one cool cat, I's got to say he is full of crap regarding the following:

* "Though relatively well organized and remotely amusing your argument neglects one simple fact; no one that goes to pub club really cares about smoky bars all that much."

- Nonsense.

* "There's a small minority of crybaby sissies that are up in arms about smoky bars, but it's a fact of life in washington."

- No, it is not a fact of life. There are plenty of places that our smoke-free. Take the time to find them. There are great ones in Tacoma (where pub clubs were regularly held until people found it to be too much trouble to come south), and they aren't snotty either. I'm sure that the Seattle area has a load of non-smoking venues that would fit the bill. By your definition, count me among the "crybaby sissies".

* "So if you wanna play with the big dogs you gotta get off the porch."

- I WOULDN'T CHARACTERIZE GOING TO PUB CLUB AS "PLAYING WITH THE BIG DOGS".

"All you whiners are probably the types that show up and have a wine spritzer and leave in half an hour to go home and watch re-runs of happy days and MASH."

- Wrong again. But we're driven away by burning eyes, bad air, stinking clothes, and in my case, I have asthma and it DOES have a very detrimental short-term, if not ultimately long-term affect on me. I personally prefer "The Love Boat".

* "And you make the assumption that all the people that advocate not going to non-smoking bars are smokers, which it not true, we are just a troop of drunks that don't like going to places that suck ass."

- And we're not all public drunks, either. That goes along with the self-absorbed notion of "hey everybody! we're wild and crazy climbers that love to drink and get into mischief! Lookee here! We're just a wacky bunch of crazy drunks! And we're climbers!" I do most of my drinking at home...alone....with a few quarts of Mickey's to start my day. It is completely unrelated to my climbing or social activities.

If the venues "suck ass", as you so poetically stated, then go out on a reconn. to find those that don't. That could be a lot of fun.

I stopped going to pub clubs regularly because my schedule changed and I was teaching on Tuesday nights (climbing classes, even). With the new year, I ventured out for the first time in months, saw the usual crowd in place, and left with burning eyes, a wheeze, and smelling like a full ashtray. Doesn't encourage me, or some others, to return.

Go on a Seattle bar-hopping expedition and report on your findings.

- Dwayner

At the risk of making a painfully obvious statement, not all bars that allow smoking are especially smoky.

Can't we just toss around some places we have been and then perhaps ix-nay the really smoky ones? Or are you all just so bored that you are arguing about this for the sake of it?

Here's a bunch of places that come to mind that we have had Pub Club in the last year:

Swiss, E9, Nickerson, Owl/Thistle, Fiddlers, Alki, Latona, Teddys, Ballard Alehouse, Blue Star, Duchess, Big Time, Sausage Place on The Ave, Dex/Hayes, Ballroom, Al's, E'lk Zoo, Spar, place in strip mall in Totem Lake, Lockspot, ?Sloop?

Which places were good, and which places were bad? Which places were "too smoky"? Which places did I forget?

Nice one, Dwayner! Keep writing like that and you can be in the "in crowd!" It might be time for a Tacoma event one of these days.

Allison - Of course most of this is argument is just for argument's sake. Half of the time, that's why you post.

Ray - That was the Blue Star. The Blue Moon is in U. Dist, and by your standards might be too full of dirty hippies (at least on Grateful Dead night) but it is an OK place, though crowed and with small tables. The strip mall in Totem Lake? I remember some place in Redmond...