Non smoking Pub club

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, Tost is a good spot. Sort of a slinky cocktail bar with loose grooves and a nice compliment to the other Class H liquor establishments in Thaisville, cough... I mean Fremont. Bitters (the former storefront's life) wuz a bit of a waste of space. If we could only lure 2nd Bounce back (sigh.)

Wow, that's more complicated than I can handle this early in the morning. My intent was to bring in some people who don't come to smokey bars. They are not wimps, thay can't deal with smoke for whatever reason. I don't mind smoke as long as it's not thick. However it's nice to go nonsmoking once and a while. We have had many a good time at The Latona. I will suggest that place in a few weeks. The person who sent me that nasty PM needs to get a life and relax.

You guys are whacked. All you non-smokers remember this. There is NO WAY IN HELL that sitting in a smoking bar one night a week is going to have ANY lasting effect on your health. Just ain't going to happen. You do far more damage with the beer (read, poison) you're ingesting.

I agree that smoking stinks, and makes one's breathe and clothing smell bad, but that's about it as far as the non-smoker damage goes. Get over it and go have some fun. Non-smoking bars are sterile and suck.

Rest your rump at the Cedar Stump. bigdrink.gif

and makes one's breathe and clothing smell bad, but that's about it as far as the non-smoker damage goes.

...and makes my throat hurt, and my eyes sting, and my sinuses swell shut... so I choose not to go to smoky places much.

who the hell cares about the long term effects? I HATE getting up the next morning wheezing and having my hair smell smoke. (not that i won't do that just that i hate it) If we're a bunch of weenies for not liking fine...pass me the sudafed!

I have to agree with AK here. Nearly all of the non-smoking bars in town suck, except for the Latona, which is okay, but it is too small for a Pub Club in the wintertime.

Ok, here’s the thing--if we look at the marginal cost (measured in detriment to health) of the smoker who chooses to drink in a smoking-allowed establishment, his/her cost of choosing to drink there is negligible because the second hand smoke breathed by said smoker contributes negligibly to the damage that the person already inflicts upon themselves by being a smoker in the first place. Therefore, the logical decision for the smoker, whose marginal cost of detriment to health of around zero, is to choose a drinking establishment where he/she can attain the most utility and fun for his/her dollar (be it a smoking establishment or not). For the non-smoker, however, the marginal cost of choosing to drink in a smoking establishment because it is considered “less sucky” than a non-smoking establishment is far greater than for the smoker, ceteris paribus. That is, the non-smoker, by choosing to drink in a smoking establishment, opens him/herself up to far greater health risks (in the short and long run), than does the smoker who already voluntarily exposes him or herself to such risks on a daily basis.

So, although it may seem to smokers that the logical choice for a pub club is the “most fun” bar, smokers needs to realize that this choice is logical only when evaluated from the standpoint of a smoker whose marginal cost of making such a decision is low. The cost to non-smokers of choosing a smoking establishment over a non-smoking one is far greater than the cost borne by smokers, ceteris paribus.

pitty.gif

Though relatively well organized and remotely amusing your argument neglects one simple fact; no one that goes to pub club really cares about smoky bars all that much. There's a small minority of crybaby sissies that are up in arms about smoky bars, but it's a fact of life in washington. So if you wanna play with the big dogs you gotta get off the porch. All you whiners are probably the types that show up and have a wine spritzer and leave in half an hour to go home and watch re-runs of happy days and MASH. And you make the assumption that all the people that advocate not going to non-smoking bars are smokers, which it not true, we are just a troop of drunks that don't like going to places that suck ass.

I have to agree with AK here. Nearly all of the non-smoking bars in town suck, except for the Latona, which is okay, but it is too small for a Pub Club in the wintertime.

Hey, Allison, have you ever checked out their upstairs area? It's the perfect set-up for a group like ours. It seats at least 20 or more.

Btw, I was able to pry our mutual friend hop-along out last minute for a pub club the week before last.

Well said, Spankerman. The plain fact is that most of those who complain about the smokey venues almost never show up at pub club. I agree with the "whiners" that it was too smokey at Teddy's two weeks ago, though (I guess that makes me one of them), and I'd be happy to go to a "suck-ass" bar once a month or whatever. I will also point out that there was almost no smoke at all in that non-smoking part of the Lockspot this week and I bet that, had she been there, even Minx would have been able to wake up in the morning without taking sudafed . This is kind of like the Eastsiders who argue that we owe them a date in Issaquah or Redmond but when we go there hardly anybody shows up or they all go home by 10:00. I'll gladly drive over there once in a while, and it may be overdue, but I wouldn't drive there every other week.

For what it's worth....

The nickerson is non smoking until the kitchen is closed.... Best of both worlds... the non-smokers who don't want to breath smoke, could leave...

The Dexter and Hayes - we had the downstairs to ourselves... Any smoke made was our own, and I think most chose to smoke outside... Even better, when the weather warms up a bit, there is the whole backyard that the french doors open out too...

The Latona is cool. Then everyone is happy right? Am I RIGHT!!!!

I believe that one would be very hard-pressed to show a relationship between going to a smokey bar one night a week and adverse health effects, so I think Iceguy is overstating the point in the health aspect a bit. However, it is hard to argue with the people that say they don't like the smokey hair and asthma symptoms. If they don't like it, they don't like it.

Some people will just deal with a little more than others. Just like some "climbers" get all pissed off at having to sidehill some steep talus for a 100 yards, some pub-clubbers get upset if someone is smoking somewhere in the bar. Some pub clubbers get all whiney if there's a fern in the bar or the pitchers cost 14$.

The most smokey pub-club I've been to in a while (I didn't go to Teddy's the last time) was when the CC.commers took over the basement of that place on Dexter that Icegirl likes so much. If you didn't get my inference here, let me specifically state that the most smokey pub-club I've been to was at one where the CC.commers furnished all the smoke!

Hell, at the Lockspot there was way more smoke outside the Pub than inside!! hahaha.gif

Anyway, I feel this is a divisive issue that will not be solved via namecalling. Let's not get all elitist and dismiss the smoke-weenies. I say we just flame 'em a bit more, then go to one of their suggested bars. See if any of 'em show. evils3d.gif

ok- next time it's at the lockspot i might show up. But i'm still going in armed w/sudafed. How many eastsiders are there proportionally? And why are they such wimps about showing up?

The ratio of Eastsiders to Ballardos is probably similar to the ratio of their respective distances from home. I wouldn't call it wimpy, I would say they just got unlucky they live so far from Pub Club. bigdrink.gif