Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonard Bezman

Snow conditions on Rainier

Recommended Posts

There is an impressive amount of snow expected to fall on Rainier at the end of this week and beginning of next week (63 inches). I'm wondering how realistic my plan is to climb Rainier at the end of next week - classical route. I'm traveling from the east coast for that. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where you're getting that data (mountain forecast?) just depends on the weather but 63 inches of snow won't be falling at paradise or muir. And if it falls at the summit it'll all be blown away. If you have a clear weather window that will be significantly more of a deciding factor than any amount of accumulation this weekend, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree - no way this time of year you will get 5ft of snow on The Mountain. We have been having only light storm conditions lately - you could check with Rich Marriott at King 5 News - he's a mountain climber and good weatherman. Other wise just keep checking on the local weather and mountain conditions.

www.nwac.us is a good source also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice is to come out and be prepared to camp at Muir (assuming you're planning to attempt the Disappointment Cleaver Route) waiting for a weather window. Looking at Erik's link to the MRNP climbing webpage, the guide services have established the boot pack on that route so you're good to go if you get a solid forecast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×