access status of hook creek boulder in the icicle?

genepires

I used to go out to this rock often in the 90's and easrly 2000's. I remember someone starting to build but I thought it was back a little ways.

went out there for the first time in a long long time and now there is a house built directly behind the boulder. the access trail is all grown over and the base vegetation is reclaiming. Obviously the traffic to this rock has been cut way down.

I was told when I first went out there that a doctor had bought the land which the boulder sits on and allowed climbers access to it. That was the reason why we could walk past the no trespass signs. or so I thought. or at least the story I would tell a angry land owner.

Does anyone know the access status of this rock? We climbed there (kinda gritty now) but kept it low key.

I suspect that I know the answer but don't want to admit it cause I love that rock.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean Rat Creek Boulder? The word was that Mark Shipman owned the property, or nearby property, and he established an easement. The boulder could very well be on USFS property. Whatever the case, easements are recorded, but like HOAs, do not appear on iMap.

Here is the Chelan County parcel viewerhttp://atlas2013.co.chelan.wa.us/flexviewers/ChelanCountyGIS/

Response from Mark Shipman. He wanted me to post this for him:

There is clearly an easement, and nobody has the right to keep anybody from climbing there!

Climbers continue to be welcome to climb at Rat Cr. Boulder (often called Hook Cr. Boulder because it is closer to Hook Cr. than Rat Cr.) and I want to know about it if anybody gets hassled.

Thanks!

Mark Shipman.

Edited by telemarker

some fun history -- Mark used to tell climbers to simply identify themselves as "guests of Dr Shipman". if a bothersome landowner threatened to call the sheriff, he/she was encouraged to do so,and if/when a deputy showed up, the climbers could enjoy the picture of the landowner desperately backpedaling to try to avoid a charge of harassment. havent heard of fun like that for maybe twenty years...

I've been challenged there a couple of times. Once when visiting some other landowners, and a third landowner challenged me. When I responded to whom I was visiting, she said she didn't know those people. I said that was her problem.

And the other was when we went there while they were working on the bridge. Another busy body came up and told me the bridge was private property. I told him the rigging tools he was using were my private property (I had lent them to my friend the land owner), and if he wanted, I would take them home.