Problems Suggestions and Ramblings

gapertimmy

If you are having techincal difficulties, or want to tell us how much you hate or perhaps enjoy the site or have some ideas about the site, please use the "feedback" link at the bottom of the pages to get back to us:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/contactus.php?Cat=

This gives us some info about your computer/browser that is very usefull when diagnosing site related problems.

DANKE

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that currently that there are a lot of people who are creating multiple avatars to hide their true identities. The result of which is that new members are always under suspicion of being old members and treated with distrust. There ought to be a way to discourage the practice of multiple avatars. I can't think of a way, though. Most people probably don't have static IP addresses. There probably isn't a way.

I have been working on an article about Castle Crags. It consists of: A short TR of my first trip. A brief discussion of the area. A simple map and directions to easily found routes. Four of five photos. I want to send it in to CC.com.

What formats are preferred?

Is there a place for it here? I know its not in the WA Cascades but you do have great views of Shasta while climbing and anyone going south of Redding is only a couple miles from some nice routes or fun hiking.

PP bigdrink.gif

Also, I think Offwhite and Allison are willing to review it so hopefully it won't be as boring as my posts.

I have been working on an article about Castle Crags. It consists of: A short TR of my first trip. A brief discussion of the area. A simple map and directions to easily found routes. Four of five photos. I want to send it in to CC.com.

What formats are preferred?

I was hoping to make this forum here a place for such articles. Perhaps I can create another forum where folks can post their works like that, and comments/discussion about them will be restricted to another forum like the climbers board.

I'm open for ideas.... I have looked into adding other content systems, but there has been little interest in the past. Though soon i'll be adding some stuff that is integrated into the bbs that will be perfect for this.

rambling

I would simply put it in the Shasta forum even if that is geographically correct.

Timmy: I'd like to hear more about your reasoning in thinking that there should be a forum where no responses are allowed to be posted. There are lots of sites around, including Alpinelite and NWOG, where this is a regular practice but I think what distinguishes cc.com is the lively discussion. If we can reduce the level of spray in the Route Reports forum, would that be better? After unleashing a monster, are you going anti-spray?

Timmy-

NWOG and Alpinelite post articles where responsive comments cannot be entered, and there are climbing websites all over the place that do this. It certainly allows a cleaner browsing experience, but I think the cool thing about cc.com is the relatively unrestricted ability to interact. If we can get a greater handle on the spray in the route reports forum, do you still think there would need to be a "no replies" area?

Alpinelite and NWOG publish articles and stories without allowing direct comment. Lots of climbing sites all over the web do it. While those sites allow a cleaner browing experience, I like the interaction we have here. Assuming we can get folks to spray in the spray section and stay on topic in thie route reports forums, couldn't we have the best of both worlds?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm gonna do some suckin' up here, but after this, that's it.

You guys, that new front page layout is simply beootiful. I've gotta say, this whole site is amazingly well laid out. And w/o a doubt the quickest, easiest web-based forum I've ever seen in years of online lurkin'. Of course, the whole thing sucks when compared to a real newsreader, but for the web, this is very very nice. Congrats on a job well done. You guys have obviously worked really hard on this. bigdrink.gif

OK, that's over. Where's the freakin' freshiez?

I am surprised that catbird is complaining about the avatar thing, since he seems to be gettin down with the program pretty quick around here. I made a similar complaint, but realize that it's part of the fun here. But, sniff, sniff, I miss some of the old guys...Heywood Jablowme, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
RobBob said:

I am surprised that catbird is complaining about the avatar thing, since he seems to be gettin down with the program pretty quick around here. I made a similar complaint, but realize that it's part of the fun here. But, sniff, sniff, I miss some of the old guys...Heywood Jablowme, etc.

Yeah, I've been coming around to your way of thinking, really.

• 1 month later...

Speaking only to guidebooks, I think that depending on how it is formatted the idea is good. I remember a guidebook section in the original discussion board on CC.com. Jon/Timmy am I simply getting old or were there guidebook correction forums when the site first started?

Why not place a permanent (sticky?) highly moderated thread, that is spray free, in the appropriate regional thread. That way current info would be easily accessible and near relevant TRs.

AlienSoul said:

Is that kew new review system comming?

If so then you could add books to it.

hahaha.gif

GaperT worked his magic and the review system is up and running. We still need to work out some configuration and formatting stuff but it should be up shortly. I can say this, it will be the fattest gear review system on the internet, I haven't seen anything that can touch it. And it integrates well with the rest of our .SPRAY technology.

We will add a guidebook section for reviews. Yes there was previously a couple forums for Jim Nelson's books, but they saw no use so I removed them. We could create a single forum for authors to ask requests for beta or post updates, and for people to ask questions about a book for specific area, or just armchair reading recommendations.

There is a link up in the nav bar now, as well as one right here:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/review/index.php

Here's how it works, you submit a product, preferably attach a picture, review it, and others review it, and we have a nifty little resource/structure that is/ to find out shit about gear.

If there is a category/subcategory that you would like to see, post it to this thread.

This new feature was brought to use through the donations of our users and the sponsors of Hot Deals, thank you all.

tim