Dirt bag camping around Mt. Hood???

hvydrt

Going to be up in PNW in a few weeks. Looking for somewhere to rouge camp near timberline lodge. If I show up in the evening and bivy in the parking lot, will anyone hassle me? Any better options to camp near by? Dirt road, picnic area, etc. A bathroom would be nice but not necessary. Thanks for suggestions/ info.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Parking lot bivies are the normal at Timberline. Just check to be sure you are in the overnight parking area.

So what's the deal with getting a parking permit when doing an overnight summit attempt? I've never bothered to get a permit, parking in the overnight area and sometimes not getting back to the car until the afternoon the next day. I've never gotten a ticket. Now that I think about it though, it would make sense that I'd have to buy one...

Huh. Guess I've just gotten lucky on the few winter season climbs I've done. Maybe they have a little compassion for climbers who are likely freezing their asses off in the middle of the night.

Thanks Ben.

Id guess the rangers probably dont generally roll through till the middle of the ski day, since thats were 95% of their ticket revenue is gonna come from at t-line. Climbers are probably usually long gone by then.

my bro got a ticket last time he and i climbed Hood proper.. And ive come back to my truck to see several cars around it with tickets under their wipers. So definitely happens

when we're talking about permits and passes, to clarify to anyone else reading, it's a Sno-park pass. why they're too lazy to include the w in snow eludes me. But as Ben said it is only needed Nov 1-April 30. The rest of the year there is no other item required to park. Technically you should have a wilderness pass filled out to venture beyond Timberline's boundaries but those haven't been stocked the last few times I was in the climbers cave. And i hate them anyways, a piece of wasteful garbage.