• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Smith

Triple Couloirs???

Anyone been up Triple Couloirs this year? I know it's not as badass as the Gerber-Sink or a new line but if anyone's tried it a conditions report would be appreciated.

Several parties did it the weekend of April 16-17 and had good conditions with the runnels in nicely. Don't know if anyone's gone up after that though, and it's generally been pretty warm the last few weeks.

It looked huge from across the valley a couple days ago. The Gerber-Sink is melted out from what I've heard.

I did it a few weeks ago. Runnels were in good condition. Not a ton of inspiring pro outside of rock stuff (the ice seemed pretty airated), but the climbing was very cruiser so it didn't much matter. The step between 2-3 was all good snice, no mixed moves.

That was three weeks ago and I'm sure it's changed character a bit by now, though Most likely still climbable . Has the road opened yet? There were a few large boulders in the way last time I was up there

The road was closed on Saturday, but was dry and fully cleared from the Eightmile TH down. I didn't walk up to the Stuart TH.

According to the ranger station, they won't be opening the road until permit season begins on May 15th...

That seems like an active plan to reduce access to our public lands to me. Time to make a phone call and write some letters.

That road has historically been open in mid-late April. Not having a valid reason to keep it closed is not the way local land managers should be managing our lands; not to mention that it is one of the most popular hiking trails in the area.

Strikes me as a passive aggressive unilateral way to reduce access/impact outside the permit timeframe. If they close it in late October before the snow falls that would clinch this as the reason in my book.

Agreed. It gets tiresome. Of course, they've covered their bases:

"Closed near junction with Icicle Road until snow melts and road dries out".

Dries out? Do they close the road when it rains in the summer? In other words, when the permit season opens.

The road is perfectly dry and driveable to the the Eightmile trailhead...where there is ample parking on dry ground.