Krakauer in the Montana News again

Bronco

He sure is getting popular in Montana:

Montana Supreme Court to hear Krakauer case at MSU

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/crime/montana-supreme-court-to-hear-krakauer-case-at-msu/article_20fb46c8-2f01-507f-83c8-f43cf7e6f662.html

Makes me wonder who decided to hold the hearing at the arch rival MSU campus instead of in Missoula. Deserved or not, Krakauer is not well liked in either town due to the prior Mortensen (Three Cups of Tea) debacle that he instigated a few years ago. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Here's the first comment on the article:

If Krakauer is correct, he has just waived his own right to privacy of his student records. Below is my request for any potential disciplinary records on Jon Krakauer from his university Hampshire College, using the same public has the right to know if his obvious psychological/narcissistic issues were apparrent at that age, as he has become a menance to the Montana taxpayer. Did he show signs of aggression while a student? Was he ever disciplined for misconduct? Did he get parking tickets? His contempt for rule of law is deep seated and long standing. The public has the right to know what has invaded their state.

April 25, 2016

Centralrecords@Hampshire.edu

Dear Hampshire College:

Please review the attached court documents from:

https://supremecourtdocket.mt.gov/search/case?case=18028

Your alumnus JON KRAKAUER (1976 BA Environmental Studies) is suing the University of Montana Missoula in 48 hours demanding FERPA protected documents on a student's disciplinary records.

Please refer to Table of Contents D: where he claims "FERPA Excludes discinplinary records."

Mr. Krakauer may not be aware that by initiating this litigation, he has de-facto waived his own right to privacy regarding his student discinplinary records, if any.

I am a correspondent, and I am formally requesting his documents, if any, I understand you will want to consult with your Dean of Students and/or legal council regarding my request.

Mr. Krakauer is claiming the public's right to know trumps any federal law and he has numerous student press associations in Montana supporting his brief as it has "national consequences."

I also feel the public has the right to know what kind of student Mr. Krakauer was, as he has spent the last 5 years on multiple law suits against individuals and state agencies, all dismissed as frivolous. The tax payers of Montana must now pay to have the Supreme Court decide if FERPA will stand or fall. The US Justice DepRtment has instructed the UofM NOT to release any protected documents and is providing legal assistance to the U of M.

Mr. Krakauer has admitted to accepting stolen documents for his book, has ruined the reputations unjustly of a student, who was tried in public court and was acquitted. He has harmed his family, libeled the local District County Attorney, among others. The former editor of the Missoulan is suing for unfair dismissal, as they advertised for a new editor one week before his book on Missoula came out. He has had control over the coverage, and law suits against Mr. Krakauer are being prepared at the present time by victims in addition to former editor Devlin's suit.

As a journalist, I am advising Hampshire College all correspondence between myself and Hampshire College is on the record, and subject to publication as part of my coverage of the trial on April 27, 2016 in Bozeman, Montana.

Sincerely,

Kathryn J. O'Hehir

UND 1986 BA Journalism, 1991 MA English

Beijing, China

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic