Gib Ledges beta

thatcher

Anyone been up Gib ledges lately? Is it worth bringing snowshoes on the upper mountain? or just stick to boots/crampons?

Also any beta on descent is welcome. Is descending Gib ok, or is ID the way to go? And what condition is ID in this days? Cadaver vs. Cathedral gap?

I'm planning on heading up Friday/Saturday (hopefully they open the route back up by then.)

RIP to the climber presumed dead who is still up there.

Thanks for any information!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also any beta on descent is welcome. Is descending Gib ok, or is ID the way to go? Thanks for any information!

I do not have any recent beta to pass along, but I have climbed and descended Gib Ledges three times, January, March, and fist week of April. In the winter months descending Gib Ledges was fine, descending it first week of April we experienced significant rock fall. I personally would not be on the Ledges during the middle of the day this time of year. Descending via ID or DC would be safer from rock/ice fall.

I was up on Adams on Saturday and everything above 7500 feet was wind blown and hard (no powder). There were a few pockets of wind slab but they were small and easily avoidable. I would assume that Rainier would be very similar. There was a lot of wind with the last storm system that came through and scoured the mountain clean. Have fun up there...I have always wanted to get on Gib ledges.