Aid climbing gumby question

salbrecher

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! What really sucks is when the hook pops and catches your lower lip! (see a picture of me below, taken after I reached the ground.)

lipplug.jpg

Here's a true story: back when I wuz in college, my roommate bought these new, hip, devices made by Chouinard for the furtherance of clean climbing in tiny cracks. They were called "Crack'n-ups" and they looked like little ship's anchors with thin blades on the flukes (two different sizes) and a stem with a hole for webbing or a carabiner. Roommate was climbing Narrow Arrow Overhang at Index and slapped a Crack'n-up in an old knifeblade crack. It held him...for a brief moment...before popping out and sending one blade of the crack n'up deep into the palm of his hand. (he was probably protecting his face from a potential "fly-out"). Some people aid climb with plastic glasses, i.e. eye helmets.

- Dwayner bigdrink.gif

I got nailed in the cheek by an RP that blew out of a placement once. I didn't realize it until after getting back onto the route, finishing the pitch and noticing the blood at the belay. Lesson learned: Don't look at dicey placements as you put weight on them or subsequently bounce test. It is easier said than done, but losing teeth or worse, an eye, might be the result if you don't overcome the urge.

Although bounce testing RPs is a good idea, bounce testing hooks is a bad idea. Just think weight, unweight, weight, unweight, shift shift shift, POP. I like to put my hand over the hook as I get onto it, this way it is much less likely to hit me in the face and I can also feel any movement in the placement. By holding your hand over the hook it is far less likely to hit you in the face, I find I receive many more face shots from ripping a nut out with the draw still on, once it comes out it makes a beeline straight for my helmet.

I watched a guy learning to hook on a boulder. He placed his first hook ever, then bounced just once. The hook pinged off and wacked him between the eyes. He had a nasty cut, and he wanted to know if he looked like a nerd.

For pins or little nuts, one way to get your face out of the way is to hook a daisy (but not the rope) to the new piece. Then climb back down to the level of the previous piece. You can put enormous impact force on the new piece (since a daisy is fairly static) while practically top-roped by the last piece. This is a slow way to aid, but it can inspire confidence if you have to place 3 or 4 crappy pieces in a row. And your face is out of the way.

There was a story in one of them climbing mags a while back, by "Big Wall Pete" Takeda if DFA is not mistaken, outlining the author's first foray into the aid realm. He didn't have a helmet, but didn't really figure he needed one (he may have been roped-soloing or something; in any case, he was on the sharp end and reasoned nothing was going to get knocked off on his head), and off he went. After something like four or five hook placements popped and cracked him square on the noggin, he retreated to the Valley floor, blood pouring down his face, to rustle up a helmet.

Quelle grande amusement!

I got nailed in the cheek by an RP that blew out of a placement once. I didn't realize it until after getting back onto the route, finishing the pitch and noticing the blood at the belay. Lesson learned: Don't look at dicey placements as you put weight on them or subsequently bounce test. It is easier said than done, but losing teeth or worse, an eye, might be the result if you don't overcome the urge.

It is hard to resist looking. I know not to look when bounce testing or stepping onto the piece, but for some reason I keep wanting to look to see if it's gonna shift/pop. Guess I want a second's notice if I'm gonna fall.

There is a story in Middendorf book on big wall climbing about a female climber having a hook pop off as she moved up on it, and it caught on her t shirt & bra and ripped it down to her waist resulting in some full frontal chest nudity. I dont know if that is true or not but its a good extra reason to look if you hear someone whippin' on aid. wink.gif