Index, WA not your average town wall

LeeuwClimbs

Anyone know the name of this little sub peak in Index, WA?

qozv2w.jpg

Also wondering if the couloir just to the right of it has a name. Rode it in the beginning of Jan and it was interesting to say the least.

madmwm.jpg

Moved to Index in the middle of November from Truckee, CA. Working on getting my bearings and learning the lay of the land.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesn't have a name I'm going to have to call this line "Dirty Mike and The Boys" Conditions were pretty dirty in there and it would've been epic to have my friends along for the ride AKA "The Boys" (Trailer Park Boys reference). If it does have a name well then let me know.

Pic from where I topped out walled in by rock and ice. Wanted to climb higher and brought two axes for the ice, but I was alone and kind of uncomfortable with the snowpack. So I slunk outta there as quick as I could. Maybe I'll post a link to my sweet head cam footage I know how graced the world would be to have another helmet cam video in it.

2n8911g.jpg

I've heard a name for it before, but forgot. It may be something like Tom Thumb.

I did a route partway up it in the late 80s. We didn't reach the top, but ventured into that region now obliterated with the obvious and huge white scar. I heard later that that rockfall came down in two events, each one waking up the townfolk.

I didn't do any GPSing, but if you check Caltopo, Jump Off Ridge is actually behind this ridge. Damn Jon that's awesome that you made an attempt on it. I was wondering if anyone had taken a whack at it yet. Figured they had and now I know. I don't doubt for a second that it woke people up. Probably had to change their britches after waking up.

Welcome to Index, Leeuw. It's great to hear that you are out exploring. Thanks for the pics.

I imagine that couloir had some steep steps in it. It was so when we went up there to access the start of the wall, and it must have some even bigger boulders in there now.

It's rather scary how some of these walls shed rock. The "quarry" area between the LTW and the Country used to have mega-huge roofs with at least one route going up. Now those roofs are boulders on the ground.